• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I thought that some of our members may not know that suppressors (silencers) are legal in Indiana. You have to pay a federal tax ($200) to own one but it isn't a difficult thing to do.

We also are lucky to have a fantastic suppressor manufacturer here in Indiana. Suppressed Armament Systems is located down in Evansville and makes solid quality suppressors at great prices. Tim is a great guy to do business with and I highly recommend him and his suppressors. Being here in Indiana, if you're willing to make a trip to his shop to pick up your suppressor you won't have to pay a transfer fee, something most class III dealers will want to charge you another $50 - $100 for.

I've got one of Tim's 30 cal suppressors and it's been excellent. I just sent off the paperwork this week for his 5.56 can and I plan to buy a 9mm and 22lr this year as well.

Our ability to purchase suppressors may not be around this time next year. I'd highly recommend buying them while you can if it's something you're interested in. If they're banned they may turn out to be a great investment!!!

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So how do I attach a suppressor to my pistol. newbie question

Well not all pistols are going to take a suppressor. There are several patented devices for attaching various types of suppressors... basically like a pipe coupler. The more traditional way is generally the suppressor is affixed to a flash suppressor which is screwed to the end of a gun barrel on threads. Problem with this is... when you remove the suppressor you also remove the flash suppressor which leaves the threads on the outside of the barrel exposed which means... easy to damage.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What type of maintenance is involved with suppressors? Is it as simple as "screw it on- quiet" "screw it off- loud"? Or do you take them apart and clean them?

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    AWC Civilian Sales

civiliansales_30.jpg

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    What type of maintenance is involved with suppressors? Is it as simple as "screw it on- quiet" "screw it off- loud"? Or do you take them apart and clean them?

Some cans do require some cleaning, but these are simple tasks that are no more involved than that of cleaning your other guns.

The dirtiest silencers are .22lr, that is why the most recent trend these days, for .22 silencers, is that can be taken apart for cleaning. However, there are some good "sealed" .22 cans out there, the Gemtech OutbackII is a good example of this.

As far as centerfire silencers, just make sure the attachment system is clean and that there isn't in obstruction inside the silencer.

Also, make sure you buy a silencer from a good company, one that plans on being around for a long time, that way having your suppressor serviced or upgraded won't be a huge issue.

Craig

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Sealed .22lr cans will eventually fill up with lead,wax and carbon. I have heard of OutBackII's that have doubled in weight after ALOT of use.

Suppressors used on semi-auto pistols do have moving parts, these devices help keep the gun cycling properly, often refered to as a Nelson device or a recoil booster.

Also depending on the attachment system for a centerfire rifle, there may also be some locking detents or springs.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the info bigcraig.

So a suppressor does have a "life expectancy"?

I need some help convincing my Dad to get one for his M4. Its already got a Gemtech flash suppressor with the attachment lug.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the info bigcraig.

So a suppressor does have a "life expectancy"?

I need some help convincing my Dad to get one for his M4. Its already got a Gemtech flash suppressor with the attachment lug.

Life expectancy can depend on many factors. For example, .22lr cans are usually made from aluminum to keep down on weight, although some do have steel thread inserts. But you can buy a SS .22lr suppressor that are "user serviceable" these will last you a lifetime.

A good quality centerfire can is made with some really durable and strong materials, as long as you don't abuse* it, it should last you several thousand rounds, and quite possibly a lifetime if you take care of it.

* Abusing a silencer= Sustained full auto fire, some cans can take it, some won't, do your research.

* Abusing a silencer= Not having correct thread alignment to the bore of the barrel, thus causing baffle strikes.

* Abuse (I can think of several other forms of abuse, but I am tired.)

Top Bottom