Question for old-timers... What was the affect of the AWB on NFA items?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    holy ****, remembering the awb makes me an old timer?! granted I just got into firearms in the last 3-4 yrs of the ban, about the time I graduated college...

No affect on MGs.
    New rifles/SBRs had to meet "post-ban" requirements for features (e.g. no adj stocks if it had a pistol grip + removable mag), or else be built on "preban" lowers.
    mags were more expensive, especially if you tried to hunt down new ones (made before the ban but not yet sold/used).

Not totally sure about silencers, may have somewhat impacted silencer sales because IIRC you couldn't put a silencer on an "AW" if it already had another bad feature, eg pistol grip. as if may have been considered a flash hider... not totally sure about that one. definitely couldn't have the barrel threaded.

-rvb

Last edited:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks, no offense :laugh:. I was not a gun owner during the ban, and did not have any "AWs" until years after. I do not NFA, but with 41f doing away with the CLEO sign-off, I may jump in.

I was wondering what the implications of a rehashed AWB would be if I did. I figured there would be some "more experienced" folks here that have lived it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks, no offense :laugh:. I was not a gun owner during the ban, and did not have any "AWs" until years after. I do not NFA, but with 41f doing away with the CLEO sign-off, I may jump in.

I was wondering what the implications of a rehashed AWB would be if I did. I figured there would be some "more experienced" folks here that have lived it.

Don't assume a new AWB would be a rehashed AWB of the first. Feinstein's last proposal would required all "AWs" be NFA registered, for instance. They are out for anything box-fed and semi-auto.

-rvb

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

OH, don't you worry your little pea pickin heart, the only guns, you will be able to own, are .22 Lever action, bolt action, pump action, and semi auto, ONLY if they have a tube magazine .....

Revolvers, of the 5 & 6 shot variety, any weapon, with a removable magazine, or any "high cap.," magazine, will be a no-no .....

No semi auto, or pump shotguns .....

So all U "R" out there just go on ahead, and stay at home, in Nov., and let "h" win .....

This is what "OUR" world of firearms, will look like, if she wins .....

Top Bottom