• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Awesome. As soon as it shows up on congress.gov, let us know so that we can do the same thing. I'll try to watch for it.

Everyone needs to become a member of ASA for this very purpose. It sounds like they've put in a ton of work towards getting this done.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the reintroduced bill Is called
    Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (H.R. 367)
    its not on the congress.gov website yet, they have listed bills introduced on Friday the 6th and this was introduced today.

as soon as it gets on the .gov site, I'm going to post here on the class 3 thread, the general thread and all over my facebook

another asa clicky link for you

Support the Hearing Protection Act

and this means I going to send hand written emails (not form letters that the asa generates) to my senators and congressmen

and who knows, I might just pick up the phone! (I've never called them before)

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I hope it has the refund part still in it from the original date. The money would go toward more cans!
    Dan

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    According to the ASA email, it does. It go does back to the original 2015 date that the first HPA had.

I could care care less about the refund, just save me money in the future on not spending the $200 on future purchases. Along with sbr's. This also needs to be looked at and disappear.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I saw this also. As far as guys looking at the refund. From what I understand it will be applied at tax time, and that's how the refund will be received. Not a check in the mail as some had previously thought... I am very anxious to watch this progress though! I'd love to keep saving 200 bucks. Plus I'll get quite a bit back from the refund!

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I saw this also. As far as guys looking at the refund. From what I understand it will be applied at tax time, and that's how the refund will be received. Not a check in the mail as some had previously thought... I am very anxious to watch this progress though! I'd love to keep saving 200 bucks. Plus I'll get quite a bit back from the refund!
    I wouldn't get much but I'm very impatient on waiting for new toys so going to a shop and walking out with a suppressor would be just great!!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    since it was introduced yesterday, not much is showing on the congress.gov website, but here's the link

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...sId:115+AND+billStatus:\"Introduced\""]}&r=21

already has 43 cosponsors (even 1 democrat) that last bill had 82 cosponsors and 2 were dems

I've bookmarked this, so I can keep up to date on the latest updates

so tell your friends!

I've already converted 1 person who said "I'm a hunter, and I'm a gun owner, I don't see why people need silencers!"

my reply was "you're a hunter right?....when a deer comes out from behind the bush, do you put on your earmuffs?...or do you pull the trigger and listen to your ears ring?.....well someday that ringing wont stop."

my next comment was "have you ever taken a person new to shooting, and watched them flinch, or close their eyes waiting and anticipating the flash, recoil and bang?....well suppressors help stop that"

his next remark was "ok I've heard enough, you've converted me"

so now, everyone's assignment is to go to the asa website, and enter you info
    it'll generate an email to your legislators telling them you support this

or better yet, look up their email address, and take the time to write something in your own words. that'll look better than some form letter!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    this is the wording of the email that I sent to Larry Buschon yesterday (I have saved it, and I'm going to send it to Coats and Donnelly soon

good morning,yesterday on 1.9.17 h.r.367 was introduced also called the Duncan-Carterhearing protection act, it's a law that would remove suppressors from thenational firearms act, I'm contacting you to let you know that I'm in 100 %support of this bill! as a lifelong firearms shooter/gun owner, this bill wouldbe a huge benefit to all shooters

the currentprocess is as follows (if you don't know)
    1 purchase thesuppressor from the gun shop
    2 fill out thepaper work for the atf and submit fingerprints, 2 photos, and a check for200.00 to the atf
    3 wait 6-9 monthsfor approval from the atf to be sent to the gun shop where the initial purchasewas made
    4 go to the gunshop and fill out a form 4473 just like you're purchasing a firearm(no callwill be made to the fbi due to the background check being done by the atf)

the new processwould be
    1 go to the gunshop, fill out a 4473, and undergo a background check by the fbi just likeyou're buying a firearm and if you get approved, you will be able to leave withthe suppressor

it will be a morestreamlined process for something that's a part for a firearm (yes a part) thesuppressor is no good without the gun to shoot it!. we don't pay a 200.00dollar tax and wait 9 months to replace a stock, or buy a scope! and we don'tpay 200.00 to buy a set of earplugs/earmuffs
    the sameprocess's that are in place to stop guns from falling in the wrong hands willstill be in place to stop suppressors from falling in the wrong hands. in fact,the person purchasing a suppressor might even have a second check done (if theypurchase the suppressor at a different time than the firearm)

and how wouldthis benefit the shooting hobby?
    1 a hunter with asuppressor would be able to shoot at that deer or duck without his ears ringing(at some point, if you hunt enough the ringing won’t stop!)
    2 I canpersonally tell you that I've watched my daughter flinch, and jerk the triggerbecause she's anticipating the flash and bang associated with shooting ahandgun (and yes even while she is wearing ear muffs!)
    3 in a homedefense situation, if I had to defend myself I could do so without makingmyself or my daughters deaf
    4 more companieswill make suppressors, bringing prices down to make them more affordable andavailable to the shooters

Thank you fortaking time to read this email and feel free to contact me with any questions

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Of course this is assuming they are interested in facts, how do we educate those against suppressors? How do we get them exposed to the REALITY of them so they can see how harmless and beneficial they are? If these were construction equipment, they would be ALL OVER themselves forcing enhanced muffler regulations. Can you imagine if somebody came out with a muffler for a jackhammer that would allow the operator to shed his muffs? It would pass in a nanosecond!

They cant all be foolish enough to think that they work like the movies where you only hear a FFFFFFT sound that cant be heard in the next room? Can they?

Or are they SO anti gun that they just cant get behind ANYTHING good for us?

And arent there certain EU countries where suppressors are REQUIRED for hunting? I thought I read that but I could be wrong.

Now if they really DID make a gun go FFFFFFT I could understand some trepidation and fear that it could embolden and encourage illicit activities like in the movies. But that is just not factual.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    68 co-sponsers now. Several from Indiana.

since it was introduced yesterday, not much is showing on the congress.gov website, but here's the link

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...sId:115+AND+billStatus:\"Introduced\""]}&r=21

already has 43 cosponsors (even 1 democrat) that last bill had 82 cosponsors and 2 were dems

I've bookmarked this, so I can keep up to date on the latest updates

so tell your friends!

I've already converted 1 person who said "I'm a hunter, and I'm a gun owner, I don't see why people need silencers!"

my reply was "you're a hunter right?....when a deer comes out from behind the bush, do you put on your earmuffs?...or do you pull the trigger and listen to your ears ring?.....well someday that ringing wont stop."

my next comment was "have you ever taken a person new to shooting, and watched them flinch, or close their eyes waiting and anticipating the flash, recoil and bang?....well suppressors help stop that"

his next remark was "ok I've heard enough, you've converted me"

so now, everyone's assignment is to go to the asa website, and enter you info
    it'll generate an email to your legislators telling them you support this

or better yet, look up their email address, and take the time to write something in your own words. that'll look better than some form letter!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Of course this is assuming they are interested in facts, how do we educate those against suppressors? How do we get them exposed to the REALITY of them so they can see how harmless and beneficial they are? If these were construction equipment, they would be ALL OVER themselves forcing enhanced muffler regulations. Can you imagine if somebody came out with a muffler for a jackhammer that would allow the operator to shed his muffs? It would pass in a nanosecond!

They cant all be foolish enough to think that they work like the movies where you only hear a FFFFFFT sound that cant be heard in the next room? Can they?

Or are they SO anti gun that they just cant get behind ANYTHING good for us?

And arent there certain EU countries where suppressors are REQUIRED for hunting? I thought I read that but I could be wrong.

Now if they really DID make a gun go FFFFFFT I could understand some trepidation and fear that it could embolden and encourage illicit activities like in the movies. But that is just not factual.
    It's all ginned up uneducated movie fear. There is really no factually based logical reason for sound SUPPRESSORS to be a restricted NFA item. I would ask those opposed to such a thing to go back to when suppressors were added to the list and do research and find out if there were a big rash of criminal activities involving the use of suppressors at the time that warranted their restriction.

Last edited:

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    68 co-sponsers now. Several from Indiana.

I'll be honest; I haven't really paid close attention to the more technical side of our government since my government class in high school. So please forgive the ignorant question but... assuming things go as we all would hope, how long should we reasonable expect to wait before this thing passes? I understand this is an unanswerable question, but are we looking at months or years?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll be honest; I haven't really paid close attention to the more technical side of our government since my government class in high school. So please forgive the ignorant question but... assuming things go as we all would hope, how long should we reasonable expect to wait before this thing passes? I understand this is an unanswerable question, but are we looking at months or years?

If it is allowed to get heard in committee, that's the first step. If it's not allowed, it's done for this year and we'd have to wait and see if it would be offered next year and the whole process would start all over again.

Assuming it sails right through the House, then it goes over to the Senate. Then, it has to get passed there. If there are any changes, it has to go to committee to get the language straightened out and hopefully both chambers will agree. Once it makes it through all of that, it's to the governor. Then there's the deadline for the legislative session. I'm not sure but I think the session is over in February or March. It all has to happen in that time.

Then they're usually made effective the following July.

Top Bottom