• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My poor neglected rimfire can made it back to Bonners Ferry, ID early the afternoon of the next day. That's quite a jaunt for just about 18 hours the USPS had it in possession.

I suspect that there may eventually be photos of "how not to treat your rimfire suppressor" online soon.

Wonder what the final bill/damage will be... *sigh*

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There was an attempt made.

And if I'd tried any harder, I was seriously afraid that I was going to ruin it. If I didn't have to pay the $200 for another one PLUS the cost of the suppressor - it wouldn't be too bad. Rimfire cans aren't all that much these days.

If I somehow need an entirely new baffle string, It'll probably be in the 'hood of $100 just in parts.

I've not yet heard back from them regarding status. So I don't know if they'll muck with attempting to clean all that lead off all the aluminum baffles or if they'll just say "screw it" and put new baffles in it.

HOWEVER - I'm also going to buy the specific/proper take-down tools needed for the thing. That way I can keep up with it in the future.

Being that they're aluminum, I'm at a slight disadvantage over steel baffles. Aluminum is a lot more reactive to a lot more "stuff" than stainless steel is, unfortunately.

There are a few methods I've read about involving "pre-treating" steel baffles to make cleaning easier. (like heating them in a bath of brake fluid or silicone oil).

Or I may just disassemble and clean it every 500 rounds or so.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You're probably better off cleaning it every 100-200 rounds. My Thompson Zephyr XL requires that. I'm lucky and a have a full machine shop at my disposal, so getting it apart isn't too difficult for me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wow, no cleaning since 2008!? How many rounds do you think it saw in that time? There has got to be a whole lot of lead in there! I think I'm going on about 1200 or so in one of my 22 cans; and i've gone to about 2k, but I get nervous to go beyond that.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You're probably better off cleaning it every 100-200 rounds. My Thompson Zephyr XL requires that. I'm lucky and a have a full machine shop at my disposal, so getting it apart isn't too difficult for me.

Yeah, I may very well clean it after every shooting expedition. And one would think that I'd also have access to a full machine shop if needed...ahem.

Wow, no cleaning since 2008!? How many rounds do you think it saw in that time? There has got to be a whole lot of lead in there! I think I'm going on about 1200 or so in one of my 22 cans; and i've gone to about 2k, but I get nervous to go beyond that.

I cannot even begin to hazard a guess. Not nearly as much as I'd like...how's that? It's been used on probably half a dozen hosts in that time. But the .22 crunch and my becoming a father in that same time really put the crimp on my shooting. In all honesty, probably only 3-4k of mostly crappy bulk pack stuff.

im thinking of sending my outback to gemtech to get the new core. the k baffles are a pain in the butt to clean

My can isn't upgradable that I could see. They make another style of .22 can that IS - but that one starts out life with all steel. Mine is 100% aluminum. Start throwing in dissimilar metals and that's a recipe for corrosion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I may very well clean it after every shooting expedition. And one would think that I'd also have access to a full machine shop if needed...ahem.

I cannot even begin to hazard a guess. Not nearly as much as I'd like...how's that? It's been used on probably half a dozen hosts in that time. But the .22 crunch and my becoming a father in that same time really put the crimp on my shooting. In all honesty, probably only 3-4k of mostly crappy bulk pack stuff.

My can isn't upgradable that I could see. They make another style of .22 can that IS - but that one starts out life with all steel. Mine is 100% aluminum. Start throwing in dissimilar metals and that's a recipe for corrosion.

Not if you clean it regularly.....:cool:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The one thing I hate doing is cleaning baffles. That is why once I learned about wet rotary tumblers and stainless steel pins I never hesitate to clean my 45 or 22 can as I just set it amd forget it

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Update: I inquired of the manf. yesterday afternoon about the status of my cleaning/repair. I've yet to hear back from them, which is unusual, because my other inquiries to them were answered in the same business day.

Top Bottom