• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    I abused my lunch break and headed down to USDS from downtown (just getting there is my entire break) so I could pick up my can. Got the call last night.

I'm filling out the 4473 when the man helping me discovers that the serial number of the can that I bought has been approved on SOMEONE ELSE'S FORM 4.

At that point, I left after they spent several minutes looking at their records because 1. It wasn't going to get fixed any time soon and 2. I had to be back at the hospital for afternoon procedures.

I got a call about 15 minutes after I left, and one of the gentlemen let me know that the silencerco distributor might have had a s/n mixup when doing the Form 3's last year, and the gentleman who's name was on the tax stamp I thought was for me had applied a few days prior to my application. He feels my tax stamp might show up in a few days, albeit with a different s/n. Hopefully for the right can. It looked like the form 4 that was approved was for a specwar 556k, but the serial approved was for a specwar 556. I hope he's all right with that.

In any case, the NFA branch is unreachable due to the fact they're closed due to inclement weather.

The call back made me feel better, but I am still a little peeved that the Form 4 and the serial number on our cans weren't double-checked. Best case scenario, there's a specwar 556 can with a serial number on it at the shop that will have a tax stamp with my name on it in a few days, worst case, I wait another several weeks/months on top of the almost 10 I've already waited.

In any case, I think I was mostly angry at the fact that I skipped food and drove a half an hour each way to discover a clerical error. Could be worse, though, and it's not the end of the world. At the end of the day, it's not the biggest issue I'll deal with this week.

I know sometimes people have to edit or amend their form 4's, but has anyone else had a situation like this?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Wow I'm surprised that slipped through. Chad and and Mike are very attentive to details. I know when I filled out my form 4's there Mike went through them twice to make sure they were correct.
    Hopefully this is easily corrected and you'll get your can quickly.
    Dan

AKMSU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Westfield
    I have one right now also, not from USDS though, from Tims Westfield. When they filled out the form for me they entered OAL and barrel length, but the weapon being registered as a tube should not have that, so waiting on them to get the forms back for correction and hopefully can cut to the front of the line instead of waiting another 9+ months....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have one right now also, not from USDS though, from Tims Westfield. When they filled out the form for me they entered OAL and barrel length, but the weapon being registered as a tube should not have that, so waiting on them to get the forms back for correction and hopefully can cut to the front of the line instead of waiting another 9+ months....

:scratch:

Huh?

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy

Are you saying they filled out a form 4 for a suppressor as if it were an SBR?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Integrally suppressed barrel?

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    Oh, to update my situation: USDS called me last Wednesday to let me know they had contacted the NFA branch and it turned out to be a clerical error on the ATF side of things.

They're fast tracking a new Form 4, which is nice, but that's still a few more weeks of waiting. Oh well.

If anything, the situation has just reinforced how good the guys at USDS are in terms of taking care of their customers.

AKMSU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Westfield
    SW76 From Jim Burgess. Basically a pre 86 registered tube/receiver that was built into a MG post 86. So in the ATF system I am guessing they are all shown as a tube with paper and length being different than that of a built up gun.

Top Bottom