• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pirate34

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 30, 2016
    Charlestown
    Hello INGO, I am currently in the process of looking into purchasing my first suppressor. I understand that brands and options are endless. I have a few questions. First, I am looking for something that can accommodate several calibers (I think). Down the road I may end up purchasing more than one but at this time I want to plan as though this will be my only one. What's the best bang for the buck for a suppressor that can encompass several calibers? I'm mainly wanting a suppressor for 9mm more than anything at this point so if getting one rated only for 9mm makes sense then I'm game for that. Secondly, I would prefer not to have to change out my sights to accommodate a suppressor so what are my options for a low profile suppressor? Lastly and more importantly, I am getting ready to start the process of forming a gun trust and have a few questions about that. First, should I form my trust first before I pursue a suppressor? Are there any advantages or disadvantages now the 41f has passed? Should the Trust buy the suppressor or should I buy and transfer in? I know these are very basic and maybe silly questions but I want to make very well informed decisions and make choices based on others experiences. Can't wait to hear back. Thanks!!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Hello INGO, I am currently in the process of looking into purchasing my first suppressor. I understand that brands and options are endless. I have a few questions. First, I am looking for something that can accommodate several calibers (I think). Down the road I may end up purchasing more than one but at this time I want to plan as though this will be my only one. What's the best bang for the buck for a suppressor that can encompass several calibers? I'm mainly wanting a suppressor for 9mm more than anything at this point so if getting one rated only for 9mm makes sense then I'm game for that. Secondly, I would prefer not to have to change out my sights to accommodate a suppressor so what are my options for a low profile suppressor? Lastly and more importantly, I am getting ready to start the process of forming a gun trust and have a few questions about that. First, should I form my trust first before I pursue a suppressor? Are there any advantages or disadvantages now the 41f has passed? Should the Trust buy the suppressor or should I buy and transfer in? I know these are very basic and maybe silly questions but I want to make very well informed decisions and make choices based on others experiences. Can't wait to hear back. Thanks!!

Do you plan on suppressing any rifles? If not then get a 45cal can so you can suppress 9 and 45. An "all in one" will not suppress anything REALLY well but will do better than no suppressor. Liberty Mystic X and an Optimus are 2 popular "do all" cans. Also the Hybrid is popular. Get the trust first and then you'll purchase the can and the form 4 will list the trust as the owner and you as the trustee. With 41f all trustees will need to be photographed and fingerprinted every time an NFA item is added to the trust. PITA

ETA: I'm buying my NFA stuff as individual. I'll put them in a living will. When I die, they go to my heir. The heir will need to pay $5 and put them on a form 5 for transfer

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I recommend you contact silencer shop via phone. They'll chat your ear off and feed you all that you want with a fire hose. Have 30-45 minutes available and an ink stick

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have an Optimus, and here is what I've learned...

A "do it all" can is worthless since I want a suppressor for each rifle. Maybe things will be different for you, but that's my experience.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    For a trust I used Marc Halata. He's an INGO member here and several of us have used him. You will need the trust when you go to send off for your tax stamp. So if the dealer you buy from has the can of your choice in stock you'll need the trust that day. If they have to order it you won't need the trust until later. I personally would get the trust set up and then go buy the can.

As far as a can to suit your needs, it sounds like if sights are a major concern a Silencer Co Osprey would be a good option as it obscures the sights the least of most cans out there. I'd buy a 45acp can though as it'll suppress 9mm just as well but you can always go larger if you so choose.

Another option I'll recommend is the SilencerCo Hybrid. It doesn't help you out in the sight department, but in all honesty having the can cover the sights is not as big of an issue as you'd think. With the Hybrid you can suppress 9mm-45 and use it on rifles as well if you want which is a huge deal. Basically you can suppress about anything but a 22LR with it.

*Edit* Obviously there are other brands beside SiCo out there that are good (those two cans are from them though obviously) However, if you buy one of their cans between now and April 30th you get a $200 gift card to their online store. That would basically be a threaded barrel to your choice of pistol. I think they are like $220 on their website so it'll be a $20 threaded barrel.... Just a thought. I'm going to be picking one up with my rebate gift card soon.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    So would I need different sizes of boosters to accommodate each caliber if I go with a multi-caliber suppressor?

Yes, different calibers usually have different thread pitches. However sometimes you will still have different thread pitches within a caliber like 9mm for example has a metric 13.5x1 lh and then 1/2x28. You can sometimes see something different on a carbine, but you don't need a booster for that anyhow. You will have the initial price for the pistons in different thread pitches, however if you don't currently own any threaded barrels just buy all of your barrels in the same pitches for each caliber and it won't be a problem. You only don't get a choice with some factory options. I think the last piston I bought was on sale for like $45. It's not that bad honestly, the cans come with the booster assembly, and sometimes include 1 piston, but it just depends. No matter what you go with though, you will have to have to match the thread pitch of the host, so there is no way around it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I recommend you contact silencer shop via phone. They'll chat your ear off and feed you all that you want with a fire hose. Have 30-45 minutes available and an ink stick

man are you right! I just spent 45 mins on the phone with them!

all I asked was 1 question "im looking at the griffin armament checkmate, if I don't buy that one, what can do you recommend?"

omg info overload!...told me 4 others to look at, and how his brother owns a shop, and he ordered this can, and omg!

now im really confused I don't know what can to buy!

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    For what its worth when I went to buy my first suppressor, I had a long chat with silencerco, and we talked about the hybrid and how it can do everything, but in the end I decided to go with one for pistols, one for rifles and that has worked out pretty well for me. when you get the one for all can you start getting a lot heavier. If you really are only going to ever buy one, then by all means it makes since, but if you think you will buy more later, save the money, and go big with something that will stay relevant after you pick up your second, or in my case 7th can.

Top Bottom