• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabee26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    NWI
    Hello, everyone. Wondering if there are any other options for CLEO notification in NWI (Lake County). A few years back I tried doing Form 1's as an individual but my Chief of Police wouldn't sign off on it because "he didn't believe in it". Went the trust route after that. That being said, I'd rather not use that department for notification if there are other viable, legal, options for notification. Will the Sheriffs office work? Can I use them if have a city PD?

Thanks for the help.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As stated above and like I said on arfcom

I put down the chief of police of my town.
    Go to the PD and ask for the chief's secretary and ask her to Forward to him.
    Done

Now, if it's just the fact you don't want to deal with the town chief then the lake county sheriff will do. What town are you in that the chief refused to sign?

Seabee26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    NWI
    I live in Hammond. And yeah I know they don't get a say. I'd just rather not deal with them. Sounds like the Sheriff's office is a viable option. I'll just go with them.

Thanks, and ROLEXrifleman, I appreciate your response here and ARFCOM. Just trying to get as much advice as I can in this post 41F world.

Seabee26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    NWI
    Geez...I don't remember. Who ever it was five years ago. Took a few forms to his secretary and she told me to hold on. She disappeared, came back, and handed them back to me and told me he wouldn't sign them.

Just to be clear, it is OK for me to go through the Sheriff's office, right?

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    It was Miller, not that Doughty would have been different.

And yes, sheriff is ok.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/who...f-form-1-or-atf-form-4-making-or-transfer-nfa

Who may qualify as a certifying official on an ATF Form 1 or ATF Form 4 for the making or transfer of an NFA firearm?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.
    Effective July 13, 2016, the final rule “Machineguns, Destructive Devices and Certain Other Firearms; Background Checks for Responsible Persons of a Trust or Legal Entity With Respect to Making or Transferring a Firearm” amends the regulations to eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by a CLEO and instead adds a CLEO notification requirement. Prior to the submission of an ATF Form 1 or ATF Form 4 to the Director, all applicants/transferees and responsible persons shall forward a completed copy of ATF Form 1 or 4, or a completed copy of Form 5320.23, respectively, to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the applicant/transferee or responsible person is located. The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor. If the applicant/transferee is not a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer qualified under this part and is a partnership, company, association, or corporation, for purposes of this section, it is considered located at its principal office or principal place of business; if the applicant/transferee is not a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer qualified under this part and is a trust, for purposes of this section, it is considered located at the primary location at which the firearm will be maintained.

Seabee26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    NWI
    State attorney general? Never thought about that. if you have the info for them please post it.

So I called the Lake County Sheriff's office and here is what I found out. The investigations division is who ends up with these forms. Spoke to the Sgt there and he said just to send it to the Sheriff's office and they know to send it to investigations division. Asked them if they've been getting many of these and he said they get a couple per month. Info he gave:

Lake County Sheriff's Department
    2293 N. Main Street
    Crown Point, IN 46307
    219-755-3400

Last edited:
    Top Bottom