• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I bought an 80% lower purely for the experience and joy of "building" my own rifle. Since it was "my" build, I had it engraved with a model, caliber, and personalized serial number (my initials+00001). I also had my trust name and city engraved as the manufacturer. I know none of this is required for the 80% build, I just like it. :):

Now to my question: I was thinking of getting a 300BLK SBR upper for it. Will I be able to register this lower as such on a Form 1? I was reading other posts where the ATF complained that the serial number didn't fit the format of the manufacturer (Spikes).

Whatch'all say?

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    My understanding was that when you form 1 something that you are the manufacturer. I could be wrong though. I also think that if you provide all the info they ask for , unless it states in a very specific manner what format it doesnt matter.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why try to Form an 80%, as the BATFE has a habit of changing their own minds? 80%'s already have the grey area of "can I take it out of state or not", why try to **** something else up? Or, were you one of the ones that needed triple doses of clarity on the Sig Brace as well? This sounded snippy, and I really don't mean it that way, just asking!

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    I did the form 1 on my 80% because I wanted a SBR and figured since I couldn't sell it , why not use that . No problems with ATF . I put it on my trust with my own S/N .

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    You can use that receiver for an SBR. You've already engraved all the info you'd need(and you'd need to engrave that info if you used a 100% receiver anyway). The "original" manufacturer's info on a 100% receiver becomes superfluous once you SBR it on a form1. An approved form1 allows you to 'make' an NFA item and it doesn't matter whether you start with an already existing firearm or make a new one from raw materials. Say you were making a suppressor rather than an SBR,......what would you start with and what markings would it need to have?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom