• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    My father in law asked me last weekend about setting up a trust for suppressors. Neither of us own any class 3 stuff but have been thinking about suppressors for a while. We are wanting to make sure setting up a single trust would be the best option. So hear are the details: I am an Indiana Resident with no plans of moving. He lives in southern Michigan. He hopes to move back to Indiana within 5 years. We are both proper persons not prohibited from possessing anything. Would like to know if one trust is set up are we both able to purchase suppressors individually? I would probably purchase 1 he plans to buy a few. Just not sure if only one person on the trust is allowed to purchase and the others can just possess items. Also how would that work adding our wives onto the trust? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Also any recommendations for a knowledgeable suppressor dealer in northern Indiana?

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Welcome aboard!

IANAL, but as I understand it....

You'll set up one trust, with you and your dad as the grantors/trustees. Neither of you will buy the suppressors - the trust does. You would both be trustees, which allow either of you to possess the trust's "assets". The "assets" should remain in Indiana, and the ATF would need to be notified if they go out of state. If your father is moving to Indiana, I would set the trust up here. The new trust laws require all trustees to submit pictures and fingerprints. Grant Liston in Ft. Wayne is another trust atty to consider.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    TT got it already. Call Marc, he will help you out with all of your questions, and set your trust up for you!

Jshepherd37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I also highly recommend Marc. I knew nothing about the Trust process called him he answered all my questions and had me the paperwork within an hour. The longest process was getting it notarized at the bank. Marc also does Wills if needed.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Yes as others have stated, one trust for both of you would work. Neither of you would file for your forms as "individuals" you would file it with the "trust." Keep in mind the trust laws have changed since 41F. Now both of you will be required for fingerprints, and photos. In my opinion the trust is still the only way to go if both of you would like to have possession of the NFA items without the other one present. Good luck. Call one of the lawyers people have listed. ALSO keep in mind. I have waited about 10 months for my form 4 trust to be completed. The longer you wait, the longer the process will be. I would not make the mistake of waiting for the HPA to pass.

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I used the silencerco online trust. Its 50 states legal and have not had any issues with it. My brother in law has the same one, and has suppressors in two states with it (some with parents, some with him). He hasn't had any issues and has purchased in both states.

Top Bottom