• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    So I have a buddy (no names as parties are hopefully still working this out) who decided to shoot his SilencerCo Omega at an indoor range. As he was shooting the ASR mount failed and sent the suppressor down range. When he went to tell the employees what happened and to ask for a cease fire to recover the suppressor, their response was "we're really busy right now, and it's inconvenient for everyone".

They said they would get it for him at the end of the night and he could pick it up the next day. By the time he got it the next day the cover is missing and the suppressor tube has a few dents from getting hit by bullets.

Who do you think should be liable for replacement costs? What about the range taking illegal possession of an NFA Item without receiving it or entering it into their books?

Replacement costs are only a new cover (never recovered), $200 tax stamp, shipping and dealer transfer. So in total it's less than $450, not exactly brand new suppressor cost since SilencerCo is replacing it, but still some costs to replace.

Discuss.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    So I have a buddy (no names as parties are hopefully still working this out) who decided to shoot his SilencerCo Omega at an indoor range. As he was shooting the ASR mount failed and sent the suppressor down range. When he went to tell the employees what happened and to ask for a cease fire to recover the suppressor, their response was "we're really busy right now, and it's inconvenient for everyone".

They said they would get it for him at the end of the night and he could pick it up the next day. By the time he got it the next day the cover is missing and the suppressor tube has a few dents from getting hit by bullets.

Who do you think should be liable for replacement costs? What about the range taking illegal possession of an NFA Item without receiving it or entering it into their books?

Replacement costs are only a new cover (never recovered), $200 tax stamp, shipping and dealer transfer. So in total it's less than $450, not exactly brand new suppressor cost since SilencerCo is replacing it, but still some costs to replace.

Discuss.

Well that seems like a rather ridiculous response by the range to a simple request. Probably would have been 5 minutes or less to retrieve. I would like to think the range will step up and take some responsibility for the costs. Will your friend have a 12 month wait to get his suppressor back to full function? That would be a huge issue to me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I thought for warranty work an end user could send a NFA item directly to the manuf? Not seeing exactly why a new tax transfer would be needed.

As for the range/shop, that's pretty sh**ty of them to do and I'd be expecting them to cover some of the costs and I'm curious too about a NFA item overnight

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I thought for warranty work an end user could send a NFA item directly to the manuf? Not seeing exactly why a new tax transfer would be needed.

As for the range/shop, that's pretty sh**ty of them to do and I'd be expecting them to cover some of the costs and I'm curious too about a NFA item overnight

It can't be repaired (because it got shot by patrons while the shop waited to close and retrieve it), so they can't send the same one back. It's a new suppressor being replaced by manufacturer

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well that seems like a rather ridiculous response by the range to a simple request. Probably would have been 5 minutes or less to retrieve. I would like to think the range will step up and take some responsibility for the costs. Will your friend have a 12 month wait to get his suppressor back to full function? That would be a huge issue to me.

Yep, another full wait for stamp, etc.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It can't be repaired (because it got shot by patrons while the shop waited to close and retrieve it), so they can't send the same one back. It's a new suppressor being replaced by manufacturer

Gotcha, you said dings in the first post so thought it might be shootable just look like hell

In that case, I'd hold the range or the employees at the time completely liable

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Gotcha, you said dings in the first post so thought it might be shootable just look like hell

In that case, I'd hold the range or the employees at the time completely liable

Yeah, looks like handgun bullets marks for sure.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd have my lawyer draft a letter to the range telling them that they're responsible for the damage. And then bill them.

And if they balk - the owner will make the range public on a yuge website dedicated to Indiana Gun Owners and sportsmen.

... all because the ROs didn't want to call a cease-fire for 60 seconds while it was retrieved...

What an asinine decision by that range and the ROs working. Sheesh.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm really sorta dreading finding out what range.

I have a suspicion, though. :(

I gotta say, if something similar had happened to my suppressor, I REALLY can't see myself leaving there without it. I would walk up and down the line explaining to people what happened and asking if they minded a brief cease fire.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Yep, another full wait for stamp, etc.

Words would not be able to express my displeasure if I were in that position. That aspect is as bad or worse than the cash outlay to me.

I am curious as to which range it is. I understand why you don't want to publicly out them (yet at least).

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is why I only go to Atterbury. The people who run the range aren't idiots. :)

And -1 to the people intentionally shooting at the surpressor on the ground, just being dicks. No way that was accidental.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is why I only go to Atterbury. The people who run the range aren't idiots. :)

And -1 to the people intentionally shooting at the surpressor on the ground, just being dicks. No way that was accidental.

Doesnt have to be intentional. Depending on angles, it is possible it was directly in the line of fire behind the target (and out of sight) if it rolled significantly downrange. Someone of average height shooting at a silhouette at 7 yards can easily hit the floor downrange repeatedly. I also have a pretty low opinion of my fellow man and I wouldnt put it past some jerk trying to make the can dance not realizing what it was, how expensive it is, and what their bullets would do to it. (or maybe just not care)

But yeah, a real richard move for failing to call a cease fire. I also agree on holding them responsible. That failure to pause the line for 5 minutes should be expensive for them. Stupid should hurt. And odds are they would not get a single complaint from anyone on the line of "hey, I didnt get my full hour, I only got 55 minutes!"

Personally, I wouldnt have left without my can, and might have even risked getting kicked out/banned for calling my own damn cease fire and then going downrange to get it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    1. I would have been PISSED!
    2. I wouldn't have left without my property.
    3. I'd do everything in my power to make sure they're 100% liable.
    4. I'd tell everyone I possibly could the name of the range!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    How the heck far did the can blow off? I've had the thread adapters fail a couple of times for me and the can blew off the end (granted, these were all with small caliber pistols) and the can only went a couple of feet.

Regardless, I wouldn't have left the suppressor at the range. There is way too much legal trouble you can get into for leaving it in someone else's possession (at least until/if the HPA passes).

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If $450 of my money was beyond the firing line I would have been screaming cease fire as loud as possible. Then they wouldn't have been so busy anymore and could go get the dayum thing for me.

I'm also in the what range was this boat.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If $450 of my money was beyond the firing line I would have been screaming cease fire as loud as possible. Then they wouldn't have been so busy anymore and could go get the dayum thing for me.

I'm also in the what range was this boat.

$450 is the cost for replacement fees (suppressor is getting replaced free) with NFA stamp, shipping, dealer fees, etc. The can itself is much more. This was an Omega on an AR

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    $450 is the cost for replacement fees (suppressor is getting replaced free) with NFA stamp, shipping, dealer fees, etc. The can itself is much more. This was an Omega on an AR

Oh, I understand. Believe me. That incident, if it was me, very well may have been enough to get the law called on me for disrupting business. No way I would've left it there without a trespass order or warning being issued.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    The range employees could have been more helpful.
    The shooter could have called cease fire himself if it was that big of a deal to him.

If I were the shooter I'd direct my frustrations at the mount manufacturer, but I'd also probably never go back to that range.

So... which range was it???????????

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How about we start wildly speculating about the range?

Then we could start specious arguments!!!

Surely no trouble would come from that, would it?

Top Bottom