• ...and so much more!
  • deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Going to dive into the suppressor/SBR realm. Completely ignorant on this subject. This will be on a Scorpion EVO pistol with full length handguard. I am looking at the Omega series but not tied to it. My question is-If I were to get one in .45 caliber will it still work for 9mm? I understand it won't be as effective but like the idea of being able to use it on other firearms. Is this even possible/feasable/worth doing? I bow to your collective genius'

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Going to dive into the suppressor/SBR realm. Completely ignorant on this subject. This will be on a Scorpion EVO pistol with full length handguard. I am looking at the Omega series but not tied to it. My question is-If I were to get one in .45 caliber will it still work for 9mm? I understand it won't be as effective but like the idea of being able to use it on other firearms. Is this even possible/feasable/worth doing? I bow to your collective genius'

Yes, at least my Octane 45 will work with 9mm, even says so on Silencerco website. Just have to have the proper piston.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    So, as I understand it, the extra volume of a larger caliber suppressor super compensates for the "gap" between suppressor internals and smaller diameter bullets.

I don't see this being a problem for you

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, a .45 can is what you want. I have a AAC TiRant .45 and I run it on all my pistol caliber SBRs and pistols. No regrets!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I would be worried less about sound levels and more about the gun working with the silencer attached... I imagine these days most vendors have piston setups that will allow it to work with both, but I would try to confirm your planned setup will run before buying.

:twocents:

-rvb

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I would be worried less about sound levels and more about the gun working with the silencer attached... I imagine these days most vendors have piston setups that will allow it to work with both, but I would try to confirm your planned setup will run before buying.

:twocents:

-rvb

The scorpions are blowback, and I haven't heard an issue with running them suppressed.

To the OP, if this is your first can, I'd go with a .45 can and get the right piston/fixed barrel spacer or direct thread module to run on your Scorpion just so you have the ability to also run it on a 45 pistol if you want. Down the road and you enjoy it, maybe get a dedicated can for it

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The scorpions are blowback

ah. don't know anything about those guns (obviously). In that case I recommend an inexpensive direct-thread-on 9mm can, no pistons/etc (does anyone still make something so simple? I don't follow the market). Then later get something to work on .45 or other delayed blow-back pistols. It'll be lighter. Save several hundred $.

The idea you'll only ever want one silencer..... :laugh:

-rvb

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ah. don't know anything about those guns (obviously). In that case I recommend an inexpensive direct-thread-on 9mm can, no pistons/etc (does anyone still make something so simple? I don't follow the market). Then later get something to work on .45 or other delayed blow-back pistols. It'll be lighter. Save several hundred $.

-rvb

Stealth Engineering Group does but they can easily be the cost of a normal pistol can. Kriss took a price drop on their Defiance cans so they're a lot more attractive but the same cost as some pistol cans.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

-rvb
    What would we be calling inexpensive? And, yes, I can see where this will multiply.

Topshelf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2017
    New Albany
    What would we be calling inexpensive? And, yes, I can see where this will multiply.

I have seen some 9mm cans going for around the $500 mark lately. That does not include your tax stamp of course. Most of them come with the piston as well. Suppressors are like Lays potato chips, you can't just have one.........

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The cost of accessories can easily pass the initial cost of the can. For my AAC, pistons are about $75 each, 3 lug mount was over $200. The parts add up, quickly.

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I own an omega 9k, and an octane 45, and an MPX, which is similiar to what you have. There are a couple of routes you can take, and here is my opinion. First, there is the issue of how to mount it. the easiest option is direct thread, which means in addition to the suppressor you will also need to purchase a fixed barrel spacer and a .5x28 (this is the cheapest option since either can will come set up for a piston) . This is whats refered to as direct thread because it just screws onto the end. The other option is a quick detach system, and the defacto option is a 3 lug system. This means you will need both the 3 lug mount and the adapter.

The next option to consider is the 9k or the 45k. I dont own a 45k, but it will be a little larger, but will give you more flexibility if you are thinking of using it one more then one gun. This is why I started with a 45 octane. Personnally I would get the 45k just in case.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Just a couple thoughts for the OP:

My Scorpion EVO pistol is pretty loud suppressed, due to the direct blowback system. (Even shooting subsonic.) Not a big deal, but not the cool Hollywood quiet, if that's what you're aiming for.

A boosted can is great for a pistol. It sucks on the Scorpion, and adds to the noise, since the barrel is short enough to operate the booster. The same can on a 16" AR PCR is very quiet.

If you have .45's that you want to suppress, go with a .45 can. Suppressors that fit multiple hosts are great.

Once you get a suppressor, hunt down some kind of bolt action rifle that will host the can. Bolt actions suppressed are the bees knees!

Top Bottom