• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kephas78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Seymour
    I have an old double barrel shotgun. It's not very valuable. Trying to figure out if it would be a good candidate for a SBS for home defense.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and doesn't blow apart, it should be good. For a HD gun, external hammers may not be the best choice. Having to cock them under stress will add an additional task to an already hectic situtation and it will slow down a reload if that is a necessity.

You may want to have a good gunsmith look it over and make sure it's in good shape. Spending the $200 on a stamp for something that might not last that long may not best the best financial move.

What kind of shotgun is it?

Kephas78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Seymour
    It's a Enders Royal Service - Crecent Fire Arms Co. It came from Sears years and years..... and years ago. It's hammerless and shoots well.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Here's mine. It's more of a range toy than a HD weapon. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

SBS-8-X3.jpg

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's a Enders Royal Service - Crecent Fire Arms Co. It came from Sears years and years..... and years ago. It's hammerless and shoots well.

I wouldn't spend $200 to have a Cresent SBS'd. Just pissing away money. Get a quality double with a lot of life left in it to do that to it

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I'll have to agree X10. The problem with doubles is that one that's good enough to be worth the conversion tax is too valuable to cut whereas one that's not too valuable to cut isn't worth the tax. The last thing I'd want to do is pay the tax to be stuck with a POS.

There are a few options. The Baikals are strong enough and modern enough but they're kinda clunky. For a decent combination of strength and class, I'd look into something like a CZ. If I was personally gonna do it, and I might, I'd find a super-high quality gun that's already been modified or chopped back due to muzzle damage. I've got a beautiful old WC Scott Premiere that has been professionally shortened to 20"(probably due to muzzle damage). If it were still at original length it would be a $5000 shotgun but since it's not original and has no choke I picked it up for a couple of hundred dollars. The bargains available in modified high quality doubles are mind blowing. Those guys demand originality and will accept nothing else. The only reason I haven't chopped this one further is that it's a pretty short and handy brush gun even with the 20" tubes,.......and it doesn't really need the hassle and cost of NFA to be cool.

1155Scott_Patent_Block_Safety_Rt_OAL.jpg

Top Bottom