• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I actually got this working a couple weeks ago, but I realized I hadn't posted it over here.

I picked up an HK21 from an unknown builder on Gunbroker for basically about the price of an HK21 parts kit (the owner was a young guy and had inherited the gun and didn't know much about it's history). It's a little bit weird as it's an HK21E shroud and barrel set up, built on a PTR 91 receiver, but set up with the original HK21 feed mech (the pull through design, not the currently much preferred swing down feed mech of the 21E). It also was set up with a club foot stock, but with a standard HK G3 buffer (way too light for a gun like this). So, clearly a bit of a mishmash. That being said, it looks like it was well put together. After one aborted range trip where I couldn't even get the belt to load, I went back home and fully stripped it down again, cleaned everything, relubed it, and put it back together (gaining a much better understanding of the inner workings of the gun).

This is video from the second range visit:

[video=youtube;qnzs19DCAkQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnzs19DCAkQ[/video]

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I ran it both with ZQI brass 7.62x51 ammo and Brown Bear steel cased .308. The gun just chugged through both with no problems or really any apparent difference in functionality.

[video=youtube;XGRPSVPu5XU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRPSVPu5XU[/video]

I will say, it kicks like a mule and after about 150 rounds down the pipe, I had a huge red welt in my shoulder that took about a week to go away. My next goal is try to hunt down one of the HK91 heavy buffers and get it installed to see if I can tame the recoil. The two that I have read about are the Parabellum Combat Systems Heavy Buffer and the DMR Enhanced Buffer, both with really good reviews. Unfortunately, they are not in stock anywhere i have looked. So, if any of you guys knows where I can get my hands on one, please let me know.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Always wanted a 21E, I have not checked prices on them in at least 20 years. Maybe like the 91's, they have come down a little as opposed to the years of the AWB.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Always wanted a 21E, I have not checked prices on them in at least 20 years. Maybe like the 91's, they have come down a little as opposed to the years of the AWB.

Sadly, that isn't the case. Most 21Es, either made by Michael's Machines or BPP are in the $11+k range (for the semi auto host guns). Occasionally, they are a bit cheaper (for example, MM was selling one of their demo models for $9k at Knob Creek).

You can get the 21's for less. Or if you are lucky, you can find a working Franken-clone like I did, and get it for way, way less. Still though, after meddling with the original 21 feed mech, I think I would much rather have the 21E swing down version (but not enough to spend more than twice as much as I did... that's a lot of .308 and belts).

Top Bottom