Best way to mount a .30cal suppressor on a 5.56 rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Pretend that I'm soon able to be "in the market" for a .30 caliber suppressor to utilize on a 5.56 rifle or two...and for potential future use on a .30 caliber rifle should I ever get there.

Would just a small thread adapter be the best solution - provided that I don't want to muck with a QD muzzle device type system (like the YHM stuff)

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    IMHO, It is best to invest in the QD can with separate attachments for 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. I have messed around with thread adapters in the past and it resulted in a baffle and end cap strike. Just research how much the QD mounts are before you decide on a can.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I don't like the adapters. The last few I dealt with took the barrel concentricaty out of spec. (Easily measured with a straight steel rod.) On my .30 cal can I use different QD mounts. Never had a problem.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd do QD if I were you. What will you do with these hosts? Just blast or precision? I have an SD-N6 and a Recce 7 in jail. I'll use the AAC for blasting and the Recce 7 for both blasting and precision. Griffin uses a taper mount and taper mounts are know for repeatable POI shifts and are more accurate.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have both YHM Phantom QD 5.56 and 7.62 cans. 7.62 fit on 5.56 QD muzzle device, by design.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    With the price decreases of the AAC line, especially the 762SD (if you don't mind the length), I'd just go QD.

The Sig SRD762QD is another good one to look at too

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In my ignorance, I was thinking about shying away from QD stuff based on cost alone. QD-capable cans seem to be quite a bit more expensive than standard thread-on cans.

Purposes: General plinking and hunting. I'm not at all an ammo burner unless I'm running someone's MG. Full-auto rated isn't an issue with me. I'd have 1 .30 cal can to be used on 2 AR rifles and potentially a .30 rifle sometime WAY in the future.

That said - I'm not sure if I shouldn't just look at 5.56 cans and not worry about a future rifle that, honestly, may never be purchased.

All in all, for this time period, it's all an academic pursuit. I'm SLOWLY convincing my wife that I need a suppressor (or two)....for the children!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    In my ignorance, I was thinking about shying away from QD stuff based on cost alone. QD-capable cans seem to be quite a bit more expensive than standard thread-on cans.

Purposes: General plinking and hunting. I'm not at all an ammo burner unless I'm running someone's MG. Full-auto rated isn't an issue with me. I'd have 1 .30 cal can to be used on 2 AR rifles and potentially a .30 rifle sometime WAY in the future.

That said - I'm not sure if I shouldn't just look at 5.56 cans and not worry about a future rifle that, honestly, may never be purchased.

All in all, for this time period, it's all an academic pursuit. I'm SLOWLY convincing my wife that I need a suppressor (or two)....for the children!

A lot of folks will say that you'll eventually buy caliber specific cans. I myself will buy 1 5.56 direct thread can to pin on my 10.5 so I can put a stock on it and have a 1 stamp rifle. But all my other rifle cans will be 30 cal. Simply because they're more versatile with QD mounts. Sure 30 cal cans don't suppress as well on a 5.56 as the caliber specific but it's not much of a difference. And I like full auto rated simply cause I don't have to worry about counting shots with time. Some cans like the Griffin sportsman is a good can by reviews but griffin recommends short strings of fire then letting it cool. I don't even want to have to worry about that.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I don't yet know enough about the options in order to even formulate that.

But, for the sake of this, I'm gonna ball-park, oh, ~$800 MAX for the suppressor itself.

Griffin Rec 7
    Sig SRD762QD
    AAC 762 SDN-6
    AAC 762SD
    YHM Phantom
    Silencerco Saker 762 (since they started shipping them with the ASR mount they've became WAY cheaper)

Those are just ones off the top of my head in no order of quality/preference

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I have a SilencerCo Omega (30 cal) that I run for all my rifles. It comes in the box with a direct thread for 5/8x24 and a quick detach mount for the ASR mounting. Its a bit pricy, but I switched all of my rifles to ASR breaks/flash hiders and now whichever one I am shooting I just put the can on. If you wait till they have a sale (fairly regularly on the website for major holidays) you can get the accessories 20-40% off on their websites

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    IMO, SiCo needs to get rid of their :n00b: prices. Sure they make good products and have great CS. But now most other manufacturers have just as good cans and excellent CS at cheaper price points

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    7.62 cans silence 5.56 just as good or better. But they will be heavier.

Surefire 7.62s fit on their qd 7.62 mounts and their qd 5.56 mounts. 5.56 will not fit on their 7.62

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My LGS has SiCo Omegas for $700 cash out the door. It's great on 30cal as well as 5.56 and you have the option of using it as a direct thread can and QD both as it comes in the box. Plus you get a free muzzle device when you register it too.

If you are looking at QD options too, IMO Dead Air makes the best option out there, and if you buy another brand later on they have the KYMO for several so you can still use all of their QD breaks on some other companies cans.

Top Bottom