• ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Musing about building a dedicated PDW.

Already have a 7.5" PWS diablo in 7.62 X 39 and a 10.5" Franken AR in 5.56 as well as suppressors for them, so I suppose these could be considered PDWs

Anyhoo... also have a full size Sig 556 that I really like and am thinking about getting a .556 pistol and going the form 1 route on it. The folding stock would make it really compact.....haven't looked too much into the recent rules on form 1 since the 41 debacle yet, but do have a trust.

Have also been thinking about just building a stubby .300BLK upper to slap on one of my SBR lowers, Using an Eagle Arms side charger upper that is laying around, but that wouldn't be "dedicated" it would be quick and easy though. just need a barrel, bolt & hand-guard

Do have a LMT MRP piston 16" .556 rifle, that could be SBRd and the quick change barrel swapped to a 12.5" one, but that isn't any better than my current 10.5" gas SBR

The conversions for Glock pistols into SBRs look neat and are about the most compact you can get, but there don't seem to be any nice looking ones for 1911s out there. The Glock mag AR lowers look neat and compact, but don't otherwise have a glock...so...MEH

What do ya'll have and what are your thoughts on PDWs in general?

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    Not sure if it's your cup of tea but I am considering puttIng together a Scorpion Evo SBR. I also have an AR SBR with 10.5 and 7.5 setups but want to try another platform.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I've got an LWRC PDW. Chambered in 5.56, I think it would have been a better option if they offered in 300 BO. With it's 8" barrel, I think it would have shined in a different caliber. I'm a big fan of PDWs/SBRs in general because of my size (i'm 5'3" lol), but depending on caliber, others tend to be more effective.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    One of mine is a suppressed .300BO SBR. It has an 8" barrel and has subsonic ammo. I figure if it's going to be shot indoors I don't want to lose my hearing! I think they are 220 grain rounds but I'd have to double check. I also have a 5.56 SBR and a 9mm SBR. The 5.56 is suppressed but the 9mm isn't. Yet.

glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    i did the sbr sig 556 and fits in a backpack with it folded. that is cool but the upper on the sig 556 is the part with the serial number so that is the part to engrave. i am thinking of doing a sbr ar15 lower and do a 10" 5.56 and same in .300 blk. i also want to do my cz scorpion evo9 pistol with folding kak brace (both my sig 556 sbr and scorpion fit in a larger backpack or duffle bag together) so looks like more stamps this fall. at least the kak and sig braces can be used (until someone changes there mind) to tide me over till the stamp comes back. i myself want the hk pdw stock for my ar15 sbr but that is just me.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's kind of hard to beat the MP5k for compactness. With a good folding stock (either a Choate or one of the B&T UMP style folders), it makes a tiny package that is pretty quick to get into action.

AF1QipMnCxnNdhq2lBHRGDQEtz_hoPHH0oTFQFUGXrNo

Granted, it's 9mm, but with some 124gr or 147gr hollow points, you'll be putting whoever you are shooting at in a world of hurt.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    To me PDW is all about the smallest package with a possible detriment to ballistics. Saying that, I'd look at a really short .300 BLK or a 9mm. To me a P90 in 5.7 screams PDW but I'm more familiar with the AR platform. A .300 is ballistacally optimized for an 8-9" barrel and will have more power but more blast than a 9mm. If you are really looking for just a fun gun, I'd go 9mm all day whether in a short AR, HK model
    or even something like an UZI or Scorpion/MPX. If you are really looking for a fighting gun in the smallest possible package I'd look at a .400 blk whether in an AR or another platform where you can put a folding stock on it, like your SIG.

I have an M92 AK pistol that I have SBR'ed and it fits the bill pretty well as it is very compact and forable with the stock folded and is capable as a short rifle with the stock opened up. It's 90% as good as a .300 BLK if you aren't looking for a suppressed subsonic gun...

Top Bottom