• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Has anyone here ever "rolled their own" fingerprints on the FD-258 for submission to the ATF?

I have several people on my trust, and would like to avoid paying more for fingerprinting than the tax stamp.

From what I've gathered, the rules state: "The fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and should be taken by someone properly equipped to take them."

I've got the FD-258's, an ink pad, and even taught the Fingerprinting Merit Badge for the Boy Scouts. I think I'm qualified.

Should I plan a "Printing Party"?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Not having seen the cards is there a place for the person taking the prints to sign or certify? If so is there anything beyond basic info like name, address, etc.? If not then I don't see why someone who knows how to properly do them shouldn't be able to.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    There have been a couple of times that I went to city hall in Muncie to get my prints done for NFA items, and had to print myself because the person responsible for it either couldn't or wouldn't do it. It has been aThere is a space for the "official" doing the finger printing, but don't know what their definition of "official" is.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As long as the prints conform to the requirements then it doesn't matter who does it. The signature part of the form is for the person who does the prints and is really intended for other uses of the cards rather than NFA stuff. Some leave that blank, others have the print taker sign etc. The same goes for the employer and address. You don't really need it for NFA transfers. Black ink like the card says and read the instructions. Roll the prints where they need to be rolled and press where they need to be pressed. Make sure they're clear and readable. Thats what the instructions say. I've got a number of customers who have been doing their own prints for years and not had any kicked back.
    Have fun
    Frank

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Who actually runs the prints? the atf or the fbi? I ask because atf says to use the blue cards, but the fbi says you can print your own card out on regular paper My FBI Report - Fingerprinting "where can i get a fd-258 card". was kinda curious, because a messed up a few cards filling them out and thought, printing the information on the card would look a lot better than my chicken scratch hand writing. i ended up requesting more cards from atf just to be safe. now i have a whole stack.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom