When Do I Have to Engrave my Form 1 SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    right b4 you put an upper on it that is less than 16" and you have a stock attached to the lower

This already sums it up... But yeah, have it engraved before you assemble the SBR (with the stamp obviously). I don't usually wait for my stamp to be approved to have it engraved though. I usually get it done during the wait, that way as soon as I get my stamp I can get it together and not have another wait after the first long one...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There's some debate now on this issue. Some lawyers are even saying that there is no specific timeline requirement. I have no idea but it would be interesting to find out for certain. I've always had mine done before the stamp

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There's some debate now on this issue. Some lawyers are even saying that there is no specific timeline requirement. I have no idea but it would be interesting to find out for certain. I've always had mine done before the stamp
    It could be painful to find out for certain, as it usually means a conviction for doing it wrong. :)

But, there's no clear direction from BATFE on the issue. We know it should be before assembly into an SBR.* The best advice I've seen is to get it engraved a "reasonable" time after receiving the stamp.

With mine, I waited until after the stamp because I didn't want to jinx the approval process.

* There's an argument that this isn't strictly true. Some internetizens claim it is only a requirement if you want to sell it. But, as noted in my opening line, the way to find out for sure is basically risking a conviction.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

Same here. Engraving it doesn't make it anything. The stamp doesn't make it anything. Assembling it makes it something. A something that needs a $200 permission slip for the ATF and needs engraving. You can engrave whatever you want on a gun and it really has no legal bearing (except for the required engraving). I have a couple of lowers that are standard pistols that I planned on SBR'ing but haven't yet. They are engraved with my trust info so that when I do finally submit my form 1 and receive the stamp they are good to go. If I never SBR them it's no big deal.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This is why I prefer form 4s. Removing a fake suppressor, or adding a stock, only qualifies as "manufacturing" in the eyes of the ATF. :dunno:

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    Thanks fellas.

I've heard the full spectrum, ranging from do it before you get the upper, to engrave it only if you're selling it.

Im just going to get it done, so I remove all doubt. Anybody know of any good engravers in the NWI area? Kind of want someone qualified :ingo:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Here's a thread that would be worth the read for ya:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/423106-path-sbr.html#post6763965

Here is my direct quote in regards to commerce (selling)

This long winded answer is coming from me, an LEO here in NWI that deals with and has buddies in the ATF branch both in Merrillville and Chicago:

People get caught up in the verbiage of "commerce" in the ruling as to imply only if your'e selling and tend to forget or read how they want the surrounding word "manufacturer". Regardless of sales, YOU are the manufacturer of the SBR and by definition are required to engrave at minimum name, city, state.

I'm not here to debate that stance. I know a lot of "internet keyboard commando lawyers" will say this that or the other to the contrary, that's fine, I don't care.

To my point, you have too many people in a position of authority with the ability to interpret this in a manner that may affect you without very much guidance and direction.
    With that said, you are completely safe from any type of ramifications by just getting it engraved. This is the only sure fire way to not have to deal with any potential BS.
    This is about the time the "internet keyboard commando lawyers" say, I'll sue, I'll this, blah blah blah." Go ahead, if you win great, if you don't whatever. Think of the time and money "wasted" on your vindication. I for one am not looking to be a martyr for this cause, my time and money is worth more to me with my family than in court or jail.
    My interpretation of it, as a LEO, is that it needs to be engraved. All it takes is the wrong situation, with the wrong people mixed with their interpretation to be the beginning to the end. We spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year on insurance that prevents us from minor fines if we are caught without it. Think of the engraving as a one time $50 insurance policy that keeps you out of the federal courts. To me that alone is worth the cost.

Again, I'm not trying to start a debate on this. People are free to interpret and decide on their own. All I'm saying is WITH the engraving you err on the side of caution that NO ONE CAN QUESTION.

And finally, when it comes to engraving, Veritas Machining gets all my business

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    SBR or not, I can't see what is wrong with having any of your guns engraved with your name and hometown.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Don't all SBRs have the name of their manufacturer engraved on them? Honestly, I would most likely form 1 an SBR.

My point is in regard to getting it engraved after you get the stamp. Why wait? I don't see the illegality of having your non-nfa firearms engraved with that information.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Get it engraved now. You'll be kicking yourself if the stamp finally comes back and your lower is in a shop for a week or more due to unforeseen circumstances.

Top Bottom