• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    I've recently started building an ak from a receiver flat. It currently has a pistol style rear trunnion block as it utilizes an 11.5in barrel. When I bought the kit, I had already planned on putting a form 1 in place. My question is when I fill out the paperwork, what would I put for serial number/markings? Do I make my own? It will also have my trust info engraved it on as well. Just checking what others have done. Thanks.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    This is a side bar to your original question but if I was ever going to spend the money on a stamp for a rifle I built from a kit, I would either a) have the *entire* bent flat properly heat treated or b) buy a receiver from a reputable company such as NoDakSpud.

Heat treating just spots of the receiver isn't the way it should be done, and registering the firearm with the ATF really negates the whole advantage to bending a flat anyway.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Thanks man. Yeah i built it to resemble pretty much exactly that. It's based around a 2001ish theme. I sourced a redimag as well but the deal fell through. Still looking. Those boogers are hard to come by these days.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    I'm at the point in the build of heat treating the reciever. That's actually my next step. Deciding which way is best. Do you have any insight on which way to go?

I initially wanted to buy a 12.5 amd65 kit. Which would have still required the tax stamp. Then ak builder had a deal on an 11.5 Mutt kit so I settled with it instead as I really only wanted the 12.5 barrel. I have an m92 that I've got a form 1 on but all I did to that was the standard drill/tap the rear trunnion. I wanted to learn how to build one from a flat so I bought the pistol kit with plans to form 1 it. As for registering it, I get what you're saying but it's not like I'm trying to hide anything here. I've got far too much invested in my trust to risk anything. I'm all about nfa items so if a form 1 is necessary then I'm paying the 200 to keep my nose clean.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the best way is to heat treat the complete receiver. That requires a kiln and a 'recipe' of temps and times that people usually have to develop over time and trial/error. So the only way you're getting that is to send it to a builder who knows exactly what to do.

The only option you really have at home is to heat treat the trigger group holes, rails, and ejectors. Plenty of how-to's on the web for that (The AK Forum and AKFILES.COM - The AK Files). Basically heat them with a torch until they turn blue then quench in an oil bath.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    I was going to do exactly as you mentioned with the torch and quenching but wasn't sure if you had a better alternative. I may call around and see if someone can heat treat the entire reciever. Thanks!

Top Bottom