• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Does anyone else, like me, feel you have to constantly check your hot can to keep it from coming loose while shooting direct-thread 1/2–28 mounted suppressors? Specifically, I'm referring to .22 rifles and pistols. I actually tightened down a hot Mask 22 on a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV Lite enough to unthread the epoxied barrel nut with the can recently, resulting in me having to send the pistol back for repair.

I have this problem with my Magnum Research rifle. The thread protector comes loose every time I shoot without a can no matter how much I tighten it, which is very annoying. It's only a matter of time until I lose it.

I know Dead Air and other manufacturers warn not to use anything between the suppressor and the firearm. Ruger supplies a part similar to what I am about to describe for use between the barrel and the thread protector on the 22/45's, but it is a poorly-made, inferior mild steel part compared to this stainless steel part. I purchased a package of these recently from McMaster Carr, and I wonder what you guys think of using them while shooting suppressed. They're only .009 inches thick, absolutely burr-free, and they flatten completely with even gentle tightening:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9714k35/=19fkpus

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Does anyone else, like me, feel you have to constantly check your hot can to keep it from coming loose while shooting direct-thread 1/2–28 mounted suppressors? Specifically, I'm referring to .22 rifles and pistols. I actually tightened down a hot Mask 22 on a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV Lite enough to unthread the epoxied barrel nut with the can recently, resulting in me having to send the pistol back for repair.

I have this problem with my Magnum Research rifle. The thread protector comes loose every time I shoot without a can no matter how much I tighten it, which is very annoying. It's only a matter of time until I lose it.

I know Dead Air and other manufacturers warn not to use anything between the suppressor and the firearm. Ruger supplies a part similar to what I am about to describe for use between the barrel and the thread protector on the 22/45's, but it is a poorly-made, inferior mild steel part compared to this stainless steel part. I purchased a package of these recently from McMaster Carr, and I wonder what you guys think of using them while shooting suppressed. They're only .009 inches thick, absolutely burr-free, and they flatten completely with even gentle tightening:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9714k35/=19fkpus

I had the same problem until I used a wave washer like the one you linked. Never had a problem since. At the price for the stainless ones I'll probably pick up a pack just to have on hand.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    That seems like a good idea. I am pretty much paranoid to shoot more than a mag without checking, and normally I'm glad I did. I think I'll pick up some wave washers and give it a shot. My answer was QD mounts, but for some stuff I hate to commit to a proprietary mount as I have multiple cans I like to use/compare. Maybe I can find some on amazon prime.... :)

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I hunted high and low--if you want to try this, I recommend you buy the ones I linked from McMaster-Carr (they sell to anyone, not just companies, and ship from Chicago so you get the stuff the next day even via Ground service). These are a high-quality part that won't make you feel like you're bastardizing your firearms.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I thought Ruger said to remove the included wave washer from the 22/45 lite when shooting suppressed.

Teflon tape has a pretty high melting point & s a common suggestion on Silencertalk. Another option would be a Nord-Lock washer. Those have opposing ramps that take more torque to unscrew than to tighten.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom