• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Hey INGO. I'm very much a suppressor novice, currently owning one 22cal can for a few rifles and a pistol host.

My son is now hunting with a Ruger 77/44 and I am very interested in getting it set up with a suppressor. He took his first deer with it this year but I'm very protective of his hearing (having lost so much of my hearing after years of hunting without hearing protection.) I currently have him wearing 3M headsets that amplify and block noise but they're bulky, hot, and he doesn't like them.

The muzzle of his rifle looks pretty much like this: AB8DA5F7-927D-41F9-B7B6-9AD089C72C74-22370-000017B720EB8640.jpeg

Is it possible to have his type of barrel threaded? If so, what would you estimate it would cost?

And finally, what type of suppressor should I be looking at for 44mag carbine? A 45 cal can?

Thanks as as always for your help INGO.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Another Bump.... and completely off topic.... Can you thread a henry mares leg 22lr? Since the mag tube extends to the end of the barrel?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Another Bump.... and completely off topic.... Can you thread a henry mares leg 22lr? Since the mag tube extends to the end of the barrel?
    I have seen it done to a tube fed rifle. You will be short a round or two because they have to shorten the tube too.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Thanks everyone and thanks Allen. Will send you a PM.

One more question for the group....any problem in general suppressing 44mag rounds? I did a bit of basic online research into suppressing that round and some chatter on various forums were about too much pressure in that round and certain cans not being able to handle it. Any truth to that?

ETA I looked at the can Allen linked above and it specificallly names 44mag as an acceptable round. So I'm guessing it varies from can to can if it is able to take higher pressure loads vs 45acp

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    While the 44 mag is a powerful round, it can be suppressed and it would not be hard to handload 44 to subsonic.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

Henry is a different story, I don't know about the rim fire but the centerfire rifles from the home work I have done are pressed into the receiver and I dont have the tools to do it without risk of damaging something.
    Rimfire may be different

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Speaking to the tube issues (not the issues AllenM mentioned), there are a few ways around a tube. They are all a compromise, that's why my suppressed 22 lever-action project was based on one of the box-mag fed levers (rare as hens teeth).

Space the tube away from the barrel to clear the suppressor. To me, this looks horrible, makes it look bent (because it is). The only acceptable way to do this, in my mind, would be to develop a way to offset the entire tube evenly, without "bending" it down.

Shorten the tube is equally horrible but for another reason; have fun reloading (you have to remove the suppressor every time you reload). I think a decent solution to this would be some sort of "flexible" plunger in the tube to push the rounds. This would let you shorten the tube a few rounds, and then use a flexible plunger to clear the suppressor.

The route I took: find a lever-gun that has a side loading port (none available in .22 lr AFAIK), or feeds through another form of magazine (Ruger 96/22 is rotary box like 10/22, Marlin 56 is a box, and Remington Nylon 76 is tube-fed through the stock). The Ruger's are insanely priced at about 4-5 times what they originally sold for but they have their advantages. The Nylon 76 is garbage; with most of the action parts being plastic, they fatigue and break. If you find one not broken, you better keep it as a safe-queen because it's only a matter of time. The Marlin 56 is a classic work of beauty. Blued steel receivers for the early and late models (mid-models were alloy), beautiful wood (for a cheap 22), and a very short lever-throw (IIRC it's the shortest lever-throw of any lever-action gun made, I can throw the lever without so much as shifting my grip on the stock). Mine had several confirmed pest kills within a few weeks of getting it and it's the one I keep nearby all the time.

With that, sorry for the thread-jack, just figured while I was throwing info out there I would throw out some guidance for anybody else looking to suppressor a 22 lever-gun.

Top Bottom