• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I was under the understanding that it would have to be removed from the registry to be sold as anything other than what its in the registry as.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I was under the understanding that it would have to be removed from the registry to be sold as anything other than what its in the registry as.

That is my understanding as well. Remove the stock and put the pistol stuff back on it. Notify the NFA Branch and they will remove it from the registry making it legally a pistol again. I'm not personally familiar with the process, but I know it is done. Folks do the same thing with short barrel shotguns.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    once a rifle, always a rifle.

You have 2 options:

1) sell it as an SBR.
    2) install a permenant (welded, silver solder, blind pinned, etc) barrel extension to bring the legal barrel length to 16" +, notify the ATF it's now a rifle and no longer an SBR so they will remove it from the registry, then sell it as a rifle.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You have 2 options:

1) sell it as an SBR.
    2) install a permenant (welded, silver solder, blind pinned, etc) barrel extension to bring the legal barrel length to 16" +, notify the ATF it's not a pistol and no longer an SBR so they will remove it from the registry, then sell it as a rifle.

FIFY, right?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

You have 2 options:

1) sell it as an SBR.
    2) install a permenant (welded, silver solder, blind pinned, etc) barrel extension to bring the legal barrel length to 16" +, notify the ATF it's not a rifle and no longer an SBR so they will remove it from the registry, then sell it as a rifle.

Pretty much this, I'd say just sell it as an SBR. Only other thing I can think of is pressing in a new barrel so there isn't an extension and make it worth something.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It's an AK.....you're not going to get much money out of it anyways, and you've already paid a $200 tax stamp. Why in the world would you sell it? It's really not worth selling at this point I would think.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Actually, I've been through this within the last year and the "once a rifle, always a rifle" line isn't actually true. If it starts life as a pistol, it can be restored to a pistol. If it started as a rifle, you can't, however, turn it into a pistol (that's the once a rifle always a rifle scenario).

You need to restore it to pistol format, such that it cannot accept a stock (so I guess remove the stock hinge if there is one on there... though you might only really have to remove the stock itself, since you could put a brace on there and be 100% legal). Then you just write a letter to the NFA branch and ask them to remove it from the registry. You don't actually need their permission, they state themselves in the NFA handbook that once an item is no longer in an NFA configuration, it is out of the purview of the NFA.

Now, for peace of mind you definitely should notify them. Send a letter asking the item be removed from the registry, let them know it has been restored to original pistol configuration, and maybe include a copy of the original Form 4 (make sure to ask for written confirmation back, otherwise you might not get anything back from them). You'll get a letter back in a few weeks/months acknowledging the removal.

I did this for an in-state sale of an SBR made from a Coharie CA89 (MP5K clone) pistol. It was faster to remove it from the registry and just give it over to the buyer, with the pistol end cap in place (and not including the stock) and then let him re-register it with a Form 2 (the buyer was an 07/02 SOT). If we had done a Form 4 full transfer, it would have taken up to a year. Instead, this process just took a few weeks.

Of course, if you are selling to a regular Joe gun owner, then just sell them the pistol, minus the stock. Then buy something new and cool with the money. :ingo:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    My advice is to talk to someone that would really know the answer, not a bunch of us that can not or do not keep up with changing laws. However..... the way I understand it is that once you make it an NFA item then that is what it is. You would need to contact the ATF and change something with a form

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Engraved w. Your info? I would sell something w. my info on it...

2c

-rvb

Your name and city where you live? What are they going to do with that? And, if a crime is committed with it, it's already on record that you were associated with it either way.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Your name and city where you live? What are they going to do with that? And, if a crime is committed with it, it's already on record that you were associated with it either way.

Who knows who’s hands it ends up in down the road? Phonebook and/or google tells them in exactly which house they can find high-end gun stuff?

-rvb

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    My advice is to talk to someone that would really know the answer, not a bunch of us that can not or do not keep up with changing laws. However..... the way I understand it is that once you make it an NFA item then that is what it is. You would need to contact the ATF and change something with a form

Not true.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Who knows who’s hands it ends up in down the road? Phonebook and/or google tells them in exactly which house they can find high-end gun stuff?

-rvb

Good luck with that. Most people have moved to cell phones and phone books are about worthless for finding people anymore. But even more so, just because a gun came from one particular house, why would it follow there's a bunch more like? Granted, we are talking about thieves. Still, I'd think there are much easier ways to find likely targets for theft than tracing down a name and city from an SBR (assuming you didn't do a trust, in which case, what are they going to do with that).

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Good luck with that. Most people have moved to cell phones and phone books are about worthless for finding people anymore.

seriously?
    I just typed my name and city into google. I found my current address, my previous addresses, my phone number, my parents' names, and age, without even clicking on a link. That was just in the google results. And I try hard to protect my PII. I wouldn't want all that PII someday sitting on a gun show table w/ hundreds of people walking by looking at it.

But even more so, just because a gun came from one particular house, why would it follow there's a bunch more like? Granted, we are talking about thieves. Still, I'd think there are much easier ways to find likely targets for theft than tracing down a name and city from an SBR (assuming you didn't do a trust, in which case, what are they going to do with that).

really? if you were wanting to go stealing guns, wouldn't you assume someone w/ NFA stuff to have a bunch of other guns? about the only thing easier is following someone home from the range...

-rvb

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    seriously?
    I just typed my name and city into google. I found my current address, my previous addresses, my phone number, my parents' names, and age, without even clicking on a link. That was just in the google results. And I try hard to protect my PII. I wouldn't want all that PII someday sitting on a gun show table w/ hundreds of people walking by looking at it.

really? if you were wanting to go stealing guns, wouldn't you assume someone w/ NFA stuff to have a bunch of other guns? about the only thing easier is following someone home from the range...

-rvb

You must have a very uncommon name. I just did the same exercise and went 5 pages deep and still didn't find any reference to me and I've run for public office... twice. Granted, I live in Indianapolis. I suppose if your name is Pharneas Bryce Farquhar and you live in Podunk, Indiana, population 35, then yes, I can see how that might happen.

And your bolded statement above is why I don't sweat the idea of selling a gun with my name and city on it. There are myriad of other ways potential thieves can track you down and target you. So, I don't get why you are getting so paranoid about a fairly remote possibility.

Top Bottom