• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I recently got into 1919s and was wondering if anyone has cut one down and threaded? I have a heavy Thompson machine thirty can that just lays around because of weight. It was one of my first suppressors and was a liquidation sale so I bought it anyway. I've seen some videos of people running suppressors on them but can't find any info about the process involved. It's not a cheap ar barrel that I can just order 10 of for trial and error. From what I've seen they are turning down the whole barrel to make up for the weight of the can. I have a 16 inch barreled 1919a4 in 308.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Tagged for interest. I'm mid 1919 build and the idea of suppressing it still runs through my mind. It's been done, but I know it took a lot of effort.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've built a number of 1919A4 cans but not to fit a threaded barrel. They replace the booster and the barrels need mods to keep the rate of fire down. If you're building your own its probably semi only so not as big of a deal. My first can ran the rate up to about 900+ rpm which is a little hard on parts.
    If your plan is to thread your barrel and screw the can on you need to take care to insure the barrel is properly supported somewhere or the weight of the can will cause problems. The barrels are normally supported by the barrel extension and the muzzle booster. If you hang a can on it and don't have some support nearby the can will cause the barrel to drag on the trunnion which can prevent the gun from cycling.

If you cut the barrel down in length you may need a booster still. Shorter barrels build less velocity and therefore less recoil to operate the action. Turning the barrel down to reduce weight will help but sometimes not enough. I built a 9.5" barrel for my post sample 1919 and tried running with no booster in 308 and 8mm but it wasn't very reliable. I added a booster with a large muzzle orifice and that helped a lot. Doesn't take much but it might need something.

Frank

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Great info ^^^^^^

Thanks a bunch for posting

Im getting ready to build a post sample in 308. I too have thought about suppressed, but that may be waaaaaay down the road.

Side note and not trying to hijack thread, but any of you guys have any idea why I would be having problems registering on 1919A4??? Have a contact that I could reach out to??? PM me if so. Thanks in advance

pat

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    After doing some research these barrels are a lot cheaper than I thought. Looks like you can buy them in the $75 range all over the place. Now all I need is someone to figure out all the technical stuff for me!

Top Bottom