• mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya’ll......
    First Time caller long time listener,
    ”Im asking for a friend” “He” has a a legal AR Pistol and is wondering if a suppressor was attached to it would that make it a legal rifle if the over all length of the barrel and can is
    once agin I’m asking for a friend ;)
    Thanks

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    A handgun with a 20" barrel is a pistol. Adding a stock would make it a rifle, not adding barrel length. Even if not, a detatchable device does not constitute added barrel length unless it's pinned/welded per ATF specs.

note: don't pop a vertical foregrip on it. Magpul AFG is g2g

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    a detatchable device does not constitute added barrel length unless it's pinned/welded per ATF specs.

Would it have to be a non-serviceable can as well? I wondered about that as you could screw the can off even if the cap was pinned to the barrel.

I would not want to permanently attach a can myself either way.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Would it have to be a non-serviceable can as well? I wondered about that as you could screw the can off even if the cap was pinned to the barrel.

I would not want to permanently attach a can myself either way.

IANAL and all that, but I'd imagine if it were a serviceable can, it would not count as added barrel length even if pinned and welded because it could be shortened by removing mass. Either way, none of that matters on a pistol.

Also, if someone were interested in pin/weld a Suppressor on a rifle to not SBR, would be destroying a $800 can to avoid a $200 tax stamp.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Ok... how about this?
    My AR Pistol is made from a 80% lower, if I permanently attached a can to it I’m good to go and put a collapsible stock on it? Or am I trying to read to much in grey area

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    With all the Sig style pistol braces out there, I can't figure why anyone would want to go through the stupid NFA hoops. Your "friends pistol" can have any length barrel he wants. The only way a suppressor turns a short barrel pistol into a legal non-SBR rifle is if it's silver soldered or blind pin welded onto the barrel & that total length is >16".

Sig was trying to play the game a while back by selling a short barrel rifle with a permanently attached monocore type "brake". That config was in effect, a regular 16" rifle. You could take that funny looking rifle home & file a Form 4 to buy their outer tube. Once your tax stamp was approved, thread the tube over your brake to created a short suppressed single stamp weapon. Pretty good idea IMO but I'm not sure what ever happened. I think ATF squashed their idea & Sig has it tied up in court.

Top Bottom