• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    WOuld like to buy a AOW shotgun since wrist surgery handguns have to stowed and need a weapon to replace. What is the ATF form I need and do I buy it first. Any info be appreciated

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a Serbu Super Shorty; it's not for someone with a weakened wrist.

If making your own, you need Form 1. If you are buying from someone else, you need Form 4.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You find a dealer or person with one that you want to buy. You pay the dealer or person for it. You submit the Form 4 to ATF. When the Form 4 is approved, you can take the gun home. If you build one yourself, you must first start with a "pistol grip only" shotgun. You submit a Form 1 to the ATF. When that Form 1 is approved, you can build it to your liking. The difference is that a Form 4 for transfering an AOW is $5 and a Form 1 to make it yourself is $200.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Side question. If you can't shoot a handgun after your surgery, how will a AOW shotgun be any better?

Not trying to be mean, just curious.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You find a dealer or person with one that you want to buy. You pay the dealer or person for it. You submit the Form 4 to ATF. When the Form 4 is approved, you can take the gun home. If you build one yourself, you must first start with a "pistol grip only" shotgun. You submit a Form 1 to the ATF. When that Form 1 is approved, you can build it to your liking. The difference is that a Form 4 for transfering an AOW is $5 and a Form 1 to make it yourself is $200.
    This^^^^^^
    VUPD knows his NFA stuff!

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Just curious, have you ever shot a AOW shotgun before your surgery to get a feel for them?

I have a Norell 20ga aow and even with low brass it hurts the finger where it goes through the trigger guard shooting only one barrel. FYI, I only shot both barrels with one pull one time. I will never do that again.

chuck

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Remington tac-14

Personally I'd buy the Mossberg as it is 5 + 1 rd v.s. the 4 + 1 of the Remington. The factory also puts the stupid no-additional rounds in the 870 shell tube unless you know someone (or own) with a hydraulic dent remover or graduated swedge to be able to install a +1 extension and spring.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    Really, the TAC-14/Shockwave family is the best way to avoid the hassle if you really want an AOW configuration. As the owner of an 870 AOW and SBS (pre/post legalization in Indiana) I'd recommend SBS over AOW for NFA paperwork. The PGO is fun, but it is nowhere nearly as useful as a shoulder stock.

I'll second the concerns over recoil for a weakened wrist. The Birdshead's style has less felt recoil, the Hogue recoil reducing looks cooler, but much over birdshot/low recoil 12 gauge ammo gets less fun after a few boxes in range session. General recommendation for a SBS SxS is 20 gauge.

If you're serious about building an AOW, I do have some tips I can share from when I built mine.

Top Bottom