Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First SBR

Iím gonna pile on the ar pistol with a brace instead of the sbr. I have a 300 bo pistol with a sig brace and as stated above, if you go out of town, itís nice to take it without the hassle. You can also hunt with a 300 bo pistol but unless youíre on private property you canít hunt 300 bo out of a rifle. Go figure.

As as far as brands, Spikes, Rock River Arms and Aero Precision are all brands Iíve been very happy with in fit, function, quality and price.

Plinker
    The spikes compressor is a badass sbr available in 300bo

Plinker
    Primary Weapons Systems. In the grand scheme of things, $200 is not so much money. I'm very happy with mine. Do it in 300 aac, and engrave it multi caliber, then add a 5.56 upper. You won't regret it.

Plinker
    This is my first ever post, so hey everybody!
    Shootandreload:
    I'm in the same boat as you looking into my first sbr. I've spoken to friends that swear by pistols with braces. I've also got a friend who exclusively uses the form 1 method with existing lowers. I'm leaning toward the factory sbr route. Like you said, this is probably a lifetime purchase so you may as well get what you want. I prefer a real stock and not having my name engraved on the gun. Also, and this is pure speculation, factory SBR's may one day become what a pre-86 machine gun is today. You never know. Check out Copper Custom in Valparaiso. Last time I looked they had BCM 11" complete sbr's in stock (5.56). That would cover both calibers.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by comm2679 View Post
    This is my first ever post, so hey everybody!
    Shootandreload:
    I'm in the same boat as you looking into my first sbr. I've spoken to friends that swear by pistols with braces. I've also got a friend who exclusively uses the form 1 method with existing lowers. I'm leaning toward the factory sbr route. Like you said, this is probably a lifetime purchase so you may as well get what you want. I prefer a real stock and not having my name engraved on the gun. Also, and this is pure speculation, factory SBR's may one day become what a pre-86 machine gun is today. You never know. Check out Copper Custom in Valparaiso. Last time I looked they had BCM 11" complete sbr's in stock (5.56). That would cover both calibers.

Good luck!
    Welcome to INGO Comm.

Like you, I prefer factory SBRs over the form 1 guns. To me, they are just less hassle. No engraving, no issues with getting them to run properly. If you go to Gunbroker, there are lots of factory SBRs to choose from.

Plinker
    OK thanks for the advice. I made a decision, I got to handle a new sig mcx virtus 300 blackout pistol. It was game over,really impressed. I not only brought it home but purchased a .30 cal omega can at same time. Now the wait is on for the omega. I may sbr something in the future but the folding sig brace sold me on this pistol,so much more user friendly than brace on my psa pistol. Again thanks again for the input and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by DanVoils View Post
    A couple of my SBR's are Anderson lowers. Didn't have any problems with them and they aren't overpriced like many "well known name brands".
    I would consider Anderson a well known brand... Sorry I didn't intend "well known" to mean expensive.
    Some lowers made by shops or small mfg's can get kicked back. Seen it happen on a couple posts a while back on another forum
    Lurker wanna be

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandreload View Post
    OK thanks for the advice. I made a decision, I got to handle a new sig mcx virtus 300 blackout pistol. It was game over,really impressed. I not only brought it home but purchased a .30 cal omega can at same time. Now the wait is on for the omega. I may sbr something in the future but the folding sig brace sold me on this pistol,so much more user friendly than brace on my psa pistol. Again thanks again for the input and suggestions.

You will love the Omega!
    I love mine!
    Lurker wanna be

Plinker
    Congrats, enjoy your MCX!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but honestly, I highly recommend you don't bother making an SBR and stick with the pistol brace.

I say this as someone who's been down the Form 1 and Form 4 path quite a few times for SBRs and ended up selling a lot of them. Especially when dealing with a platform like an AR that has many pretty good, non-obnoxious, braces. You'll be saving yourself $200, plus a long wait for something that's basically the same (plus, you can travel with it out of state if you want without getting an ATF permission slip).

Also, you probably shouldn't look at an SBR as a long term investment. Since anyone can make one at any time, there is no scarcity of the item and it is more difficult to sell (because of the paperwork). In fact, you'll often have to sell them at a loss because every potential buyer will be mentally adding the $200 stamp to the price in their head.

The only NFA items that potentially can be looked at as investments are machineguns (and even then, I'm not sure that's really a good idea either as there are no guarantees they'll accrue value either... but they should at least retain their value and are a hoot to shoot in the mean time).

When I built my wife's 10.5" pistol in 5.56 (Anderson Upper + Lower with a .223 Wylde barrel with 1:7 twist, Anderson bolt + charging handle and a simple mil-spec trigger group) we chose to go with the pistol version (KAK Shockwave Arm-Brace) for the specific purpose of avoiding the 'SBR' paperwork and saving the $220 'donation' to the federal government.

When we traveled to PA for a vacation last summer, it went with us, broke down + rolled-up in a towel, and stashed in a (quality) back-pack ready for quick get-n-go...but still legal.

It takes about 30 seconds to remove it from the back-pack, unroll it, put it together, insert a 20-round magazine (I purchased 5 of them for ease of carry) and charge it, making it ready to fire...but it provides heavier firepower than a 9mm pistol if needed.

Using Black Hills 77-grain ammo...it's pretty darn accurate to 150m with fixed-sights.

My wife really likes it...'nough said!
    Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2