• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootandreload

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2017
    FRANKLIN
    I recently purchased a 300 blackout pistol from psa,and absolutely love the thing. The only thing that would make it better would be a real stock. So here here I go into the sbr world. I am looking for advice from all you sbr gurus. I have been researching bravo company (which is hard to fnd ), Daniel Defence, and barret(which really grabs my attention for some reason. Im willing to spend some money on this item since it' going to be a nfa long term investment. This is going too also be in 300 blackout with the option of getting a 556 upper later. Im looking for advice on the three I named but willing to consider other manufacturers . Thanks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do you want to BUY an SBR or do you want to MAKE one?

The $200 donation to the BATFEieio is the same either way.

Many make their own SBRs and really enjoy the process along the way.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but honestly, I highly recommend you don't bother making an SBR and stick with the pistol brace.

I say this as someone who's been down the Form 1 and Form 4 path quite a few times for SBRs and ended up selling a lot of them. Especially when dealing with a platform like an AR that has many pretty good, non-obnoxious, braces. You'll be saving yourself $200, plus a long wait for something that's basically the same (plus, you can travel with it out of state if you want without getting an ATF permission slip).

Also, you probably shouldn't look at an SBR as a long term investment. Since anyone can make one at any time, there is no scarcity of the item and it is more difficult to sell (because of the paperwork). In fact, you'll often have to sell them at a loss because every potential buyer will be mentally adding the $200 stamp to the price in their head.

The only NFA items that potentially can be looked at as investments are machineguns (and even then, I'm not sure that's really a good idea either as there are no guarantees they'll accrue value either... but they should at least retain their value and are a hoot to shoot in the mean time).

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I agree with Beowulf. I have 2 Sbr stamps that I've never assembled just because I have braces on pistols that are just as handy and I don't have to drag any paperwork or fill out forms to travel with them. I wish I would have spent that money on another suppressor if anything.

Shootandreload

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2017
    FRANKLIN
    Thanks for the input, It seems there are a lot more choices for complete weapon systems in the pistol configuration than the sbr. Please keep the advice coming.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    About the only thing you can't do with the pistol that you can with the SBR is have a vertical foregrip. However, having used a Magpul AFG on both AR pistols and full sized ARs, you aren't missing much there either.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I personally have multiple SBR's but all of my recent builds have been pistols. When the ATF changed the rule about Braces and Blades the pistol became much more doable. As Beowolf said the only real difference is the vertical fore grip. I like the AFG's so there's no problem.
    Build the pistol. If you decide you want to drop the $200 to the ATF then SBR it. Meanwhile run it as a pistol and enjoy!

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    All you need to make your current 300 blk pistol into an SBR is to submit the form, get the lower engraved, and once approved - add the stock. Unless you want a pistol and an SBR, you don't need to buy another dedicated SBR. You can enjoy your PSA gun as a pistol while you await approval of your form. Then make it 'better' by adding your stock.

I'm not an SBR guru, but I personally had a Sig pistol with brace, and decided to sell it and build my own SBR. I went 5.56, and am now building a 300 blk upper that I can use on it too.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If you SBR an AR lower, I would recommend using a well known name brand.
    Helps ease the paperwork and eliminates confusion with the ATF.
    They get confused easily :rolleyes:

I would also recommend just using a pistol brace now-a-days.
    Get one that's rubber vs. plastic (like a Shockwave blade) and you'll be fine

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If you SBR an AR lower, I would recommend using a well known name brand.
    Helps ease the paperwork and eliminates confusion with the ATF.
    They get confused easily :rolleyes:

A couple of my SBR's are Anderson lowers. Didn't have any problems with them and they aren't overpriced like many "well known name brands".

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I’m gonna pile on the ar pistol with a brace instead of the sbr. I have a 300 bo pistol with a sig brace and as stated above, if you go out of town, it’s nice to take it without the hassle. You can also hunt with a 300 bo pistol but unless you’re on private property you can’t hunt 300 bo out of a rifle. Go figure.

As as far as brands, Spikes, Rock River Arms and Aero Precision are all brands I’ve been very happy with in fit, function, quality and price.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Primary Weapons Systems. In the grand scheme of things, $200 is not so much money. I'm very happy with mine. Do it in 300 aac, and engrave it multi caliber, then add a 5.56 upper. You won't regret it.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    This is my first ever post, so hey everybody!
    Shootandreload:
    I'm in the same boat as you looking into my first sbr. I've spoken to friends that swear by pistols with braces. I've also got a friend who exclusively uses the form 1 method with existing lowers. I'm leaning toward the factory sbr route. Like you said, this is probably a lifetime purchase so you may as well get what you want. I prefer a real stock and not having my name engraved on the gun. Also, and this is pure speculation, factory SBR's may one day become what a pre-86 machine gun is today. You never know. Check out Copper Custom in Valparaiso. Last time I looked they had BCM 11" complete sbr's in stock (5.56). That would cover both calibers.

Good luck!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This is my first ever post, so hey everybody!
    Shootandreload:
    I'm in the same boat as you looking into my first sbr. I've spoken to friends that swear by pistols with braces. I've also got a friend who exclusively uses the form 1 method with existing lowers. I'm leaning toward the factory sbr route. Like you said, this is probably a lifetime purchase so you may as well get what you want. I prefer a real stock and not having my name engraved on the gun. Also, and this is pure speculation, factory SBR's may one day become what a pre-86 machine gun is today. You never know. Check out Copper Custom in Valparaiso. Last time I looked they had BCM 11" complete sbr's in stock (5.56). That would cover both calibers.

Good luck!

Welcome to INGO Comm.

Like you, I prefer factory SBRs over the form 1 guns. To me, they are just less hassle. No engraving, no issues with getting them to run properly. If you go to Gunbroker, there are lots of factory SBRs to choose from.

Shootandreload

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2017
    FRANKLIN
    OK thanks for the advice. I made a decision, I got to handle a new sig mcx virtus 300 blackout pistol. It was game over,really impressed. I not only brought it home but purchased a .30 cal omega can at same time. Now the wait is on for the omega. I may sbr something in the future but the folding sig brace sold me on this pistol,so much more user friendly than brace on my psa pistol. Again thanks again for the input and suggestions.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    A couple of my SBR's are Anderson lowers. Didn't have any problems with them and they aren't overpriced like many "well known name brands".

I would consider Anderson a well known brand... Sorry I didn't intend "well known" to mean expensive.
    Some lowers made by shops or small mfg's can get kicked back. Seen it happen on a couple posts a while back on another forum

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    OK thanks for the advice. I made a decision, I got to handle a new sig mcx virtus 300 blackout pistol. It was game over,really impressed. I not only brought it home but purchased a .30 cal omega can at same time. Now the wait is on for the omega. I may sbr something in the future but the folding sig brace sold me on this pistol,so much more user friendly than brace on my psa pistol. Again thanks again for the input and suggestions.

You will love the Omega!
    I love mine!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but honestly, I highly recommend you don't bother making an SBR and stick with the pistol brace.

I say this as someone who's been down the Form 1 and Form 4 path quite a few times for SBRs and ended up selling a lot of them. Especially when dealing with a platform like an AR that has many pretty good, non-obnoxious, braces. You'll be saving yourself $200, plus a long wait for something that's basically the same (plus, you can travel with it out of state if you want without getting an ATF permission slip).

Also, you probably shouldn't look at an SBR as a long term investment. Since anyone can make one at any time, there is no scarcity of the item and it is more difficult to sell (because of the paperwork). In fact, you'll often have to sell them at a loss because every potential buyer will be mentally adding the $200 stamp to the price in their head.

The only NFA items that potentially can be looked at as investments are machineguns (and even then, I'm not sure that's really a good idea either as there are no guarantees they'll accrue value either... but they should at least retain their value and are a hoot to shoot in the mean time).

When I built my wife's 10.5" pistol in 5.56 (Anderson Upper + Lower with a .223 Wylde barrel with 1:7 twist, Anderson bolt + charging handle and a simple mil-spec trigger group) we chose to go with the pistol version (KAK Shockwave Arm-Brace) for the specific purpose of avoiding the 'SBR' paperwork and saving the $220 'donation' to the federal government.

When we traveled to PA for a vacation last summer, it went with us, broke down + rolled-up in a towel, and stashed in a (quality) back-pack ready for quick get-n-go...but still legal.

It takes about 30 seconds to remove it from the back-pack, unroll it, put it together, insert a 20-round magazine (I purchased 5 of them for ease of carry) and charge it, making it ready to fire...but it provides heavier firepower than a 9mm pistol if needed.

Using Black Hills 77-grain ammo...it's pretty darn accurate to 150m with fixed-sights.

My wife really likes it...'nough said!

Top Bottom