Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First SBR

Plinker

First SBR

I recently purchased a 300 blackout pistol from psa,and absolutely love the thing. The only thing that would make it better would be a real stock. So here here I go into the sbr world. I am looking for advice from all you sbr gurus. I have been researching bravo company (which is hard to fnd ), Daniel Defence, and barret(which really grabs my attention for some reason. Im willing to spend some money on this item since it' going to be a nfa long term investment. This is going too also be in 300 blackout with the option of getting a 556 upper later. Im looking for advice on the three I named but willing to consider other manufacturers . Thanks

Do you want to BUY an SBR or do you want to MAKE one?

The $200 donation to the BATFEieio is the same either way.

Many make their own SBRs and really enjoy the process along the way.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but honestly, I highly recommend you don't bother making an SBR and stick with the pistol brace.

I say this as someone who's been down the Form 1 and Form 4 path quite a few times for SBRs and ended up selling a lot of them. Especially when dealing with a platform like an AR that has many pretty good, non-obnoxious, braces. You'll be saving yourself $200, plus a long wait for something that's basically the same (plus, you can travel with it out of state if you want without getting an ATF permission slip).

Also, you probably shouldn't look at an SBR as a long term investment. Since anyone can make one at any time, there is no scarcity of the item and it is more difficult to sell (because of the paperwork). In fact, you'll often have to sell them at a loss because every potential buyer will be mentally adding the $200 stamp to the price in their head.

The only NFA items that potentially can be looked at as investments are machineguns (and even then, I'm not sure that's really a good idea either as there are no guarantees they'll accrue value either... but they should at least retain their value and are a hoot to shoot in the mean time).
    Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom.

I agree with Beowulf. I have 2 Sbr stamps that I've never assembled just because I have braces on pistols that are just as handy and I don't have to drag any paperwork or fill out forms to travel with them. I wish I would have spent that money on another suppressor if anything.

Plinker
    Thanks for the input, It seems there are a lot more choices for complete weapon systems in the pistol configuration than the sbr. Please keep the advice coming.

About the only thing you can't do with the pistol that you can with the SBR is have a vertical foregrip. However, having used a Magpul AFG on both AR pistols and full sized ARs, you aren't missing much there either.
    Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom.

I personally have multiple SBR's but all of my recent builds have been pistols. When the ATF changed the rule about Braces and Blades the pistol became much more doable. As Beowolf said the only real difference is the vertical fore grip. I like the AFG's so there's no problem.
    Build the pistol. If you decide you want to drop the $200 to the ATF then SBR it. Meanwhile run it as a pistol and enjoy!

All you need to make your current 300 blk pistol into an SBR is to submit the form, get the lower engraved, and once approved - add the stock. Unless you want a pistol and an SBR, you don't need to buy another dedicated SBR. You can enjoy your PSA gun as a pistol while you await approval of your form. Then make it 'better' by adding your stock.

I'm not an SBR guru, but I personally had a Sig pistol with brace, and decided to sell it and build my own SBR. I went 5.56, and am now building a 300 blk upper that I can use on it too.
    Once an adult - twice a child.

If you SBR an AR lower, I would recommend using a well known name brand.
    Helps ease the paperwork and eliminates confusion with the ATF.
    They get confused easily

I would also recommend just using a pistol brace now-a-days.
    Get one that's rubber vs. plastic (like a Shockwave blade) and you'll be fine
    Lurker wanna be

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGlockMan View Post
    If you SBR an AR lower, I would recommend using a well known name brand.
    Helps ease the paperwork and eliminates confusion with the ATF.
    They get confused easily
    A couple of my SBR's are Anderson lowers. Didn't have any problems with them and they aren't overpriced like many "well known name brands".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast