• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a 22 can in ATF jail at the moment and it will be there until spring or so. Before it is bonded out, I want to get a few firearms ready for it. Namely my 10-22 and my 22/45 (which needs to be threaded and have the sight moved back).

I have my 10-22 set up as a liberty training rifle with a stock tapered barrel and tech sights. I want to replace it with a factory threaded barrel that is essentially the dame, just with threads. I see that the factory barrels are actually threaded 1/2-20 with a 1/2-28 adapter. Anyone using this adapter with their thread on suppressors? I just want to know if they are good to go (as far as being concentric to the bore so I don't have a nasty issue the first time I pull the trigger). I guess I'm of the opinion that fewer parts would be better, but I may be over thinking it.

I was looking at them on ebay as I can't find them anywhere else, so was hoping for someone that is using the stock Ruger barrel as a suppressor host to say yeah or nay before I spend $100+ on a stock barrel. If I end up buying a bull barrel, it will start a complete transformation of the rifle that i really don't want to do.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I can thread a 10 22 barrel and bump the front sight back. Barrel needs to be at least 18".
    Yes it would be threaded concentric to the bore, runs $125.00 though

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I saw what you are looking at and those are made for International usage. The ones released in the US are threaded just 1/2 X 28. There are some on EBAY that are that way.

As AllemM said he can take a factory barrel and fix it right up for you. A factory takeoff standard barrel should run about $25 bucks. There is one in the Classifieds but it is overpriced.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I saw what you are looking at and those are made for International usage. The ones released in the US are threaded just 1/2 X 28. There are some on EBAY that are that way.

As AllemM said he can take a factory barrel and fix it right up for you. A factory takeoff standard barrel should run about $25 bucks. There is one in the Classifieds but it is overpriced.

I was wondering if there was a reason the ones I'm seeing are threaded 1/2-20 that nobody uses here. I'll keep my eye out. I'm not in any huge hurry. I just wanted some information before spending some money.

I've had this 10-22 for a little over 30 years and replaced the old barrel (and stock) with a take off about eight years ago for about $25. I'd just build it up with a bull barrel, but for nostalgic purposes I want to keep it like it is with a threaded barrel. I'd just leave it as is, but it seems like a waste if I can't at least thread a can on once in a while on the rare occasion that I shoot it anymore (just not really into semi-automatics anymore for some reason).

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If you want to leave it looking original then you should really talk to AllenM. AT one point I think he was working on being able to use the band that the front sight sits in as a thread protector. That way the barrel looks normal and when you want to suppress it you just take off the front sight.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If you want to leave it looking original then you should really talk to AllenM. AT one point I think he was working on being able to use the band that the front sight sits in as a thread protector. That way the barrel looks normal and when you want to suppress it you just take off the front sight.

Actually that would be doable if there was a way of indexing the front sight each time to put it back on. But no, the way I do it the sight it permanent.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look at some of the barrels available in the aftermarket. Most will shoot far better groups than the factory barrel. If you are wanting to make sure your iron sights are tall enough with the can you will need to have the cans diameter and do the math. There are some fine aftermarket barrels available. Not hard to change them either.

Another thing would be to test the 10-22 with sub sonic ammo. Your can will add a bit of back pressure but many need a lighter bolt group to run sub sonic rounds well. The can will sound much better running sub sonic rounds since the ejection is going to be what has the most noise.

Now you you can get another stamp and go with a short barrel rifle also. Then the barrel length would be shorter overall. The rounds more likely to stay sub sonic and the rifle would look more pleasing with the normal 10-22 length.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Look at some of the barrels available in the aftermarket. Most will shoot far better groups than the factory barrel. If you are wanting to make sure your iron sights are tall enough with the can you will need to have the cans diameter and do the math. There are some fine aftermarket barrels available. Not hard to change them either.

Another thing would be to test the 10-22 with sub sonic ammo. Your can will add a bit of back pressure but many need a lighter bolt group to run sub sonic rounds well. The can will sound much better running sub sonic rounds since the ejection is going to be what has the most noise.

Now you you can get another stamp and go with a short barrel rifle also. Then the barrel length would be shorter overall. The rounds more likely to stay sub sonic and the rifle would look more pleasing with the normal 10-22 length.

I know, it's a snowball effect. I change one thing and the next thing you know the only thing left stock is the receiver. I'm having a hard time justifying threading the stock barrel just for the fact that there are much better barrels out there and spending $100+ on a threaded stock one is kind of ridiculous. I may actually just get a threaded bull barrel and throw on a Magpul stock with a red dot. I want a 10-22 set up that way, but don't really want another 10-22 (unless it's a takedown).

The Tech Sights should clear the suppressor if it is actually 1" diameter the specs say it is.

The main reason I really bought the can was to put it on a CZ455 Varmint Precision that I don't even own yet. I almost bought it about an hour ago, but the LGS was kind of busy and they ignored me long enough to escape with my money. Now I probably have to go back and get it later this week. :laugh:

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I want a can bad. Was waiting for the hearing protection act. Was waiting for finding a threaded barrel. Had this come up. Wife needed tires before winter. Xmas time. Found a nice deal on some shooter firearms that I can haggle around with.

When it comes to a silenced firearm to me I want the first shot to be quite also. Maybe a wet can or maybe using computer duster.
    I do think I have the near perfect setup for me. The TC contender. Just an MGM barrel and a can away. But then I would go ahead and SBR that frame and have a very weird SBR in any caliber so to speak.

It is a sickness. Seldom when I buy a firearm does it ever get away from me. When I get multiples of stuff in a single buy I try not to get attached to them so I can sell some off. Come the first of the year (tax check time) I am going to do some wheeling and dealing around. I got way to much stuff of all kinds. I need to simplify my life. I think I just made a new year resolution so that you Gabriel.

pS the cz should do wonders with a can.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I know, it's a snowball effect. I change one thing and the next thing you know the only thing left stock is the receiver. I'm having a hard time justifying threading the stock barrel just for the fact that there are much better barrels out there and spending $100+ on a threaded stock one is kind of ridiculous. I may actually just get a threaded bull barrel and throw on a Magpul stock with a red dot. I want a 10-22 set up that way, but don't really want another 10-22 (unless it's a takedown).

The Tech Sights should clear the suppressor if it is actually 1" diameter the specs say it is.

The main reason I really bought the can was to put it on a CZ455 Varmint Precision that I don't even own yet. I almost bought it about an hour ago, but the LGS was kind of busy and they ignored me long enough to escape with my money. Now I probably have to go back and get it later this week. :laugh:

Id never poo poo anyone’s ideas for building a gun, but if you can outshoot a factory barrelmwoth either Tech sights or a red dot, you must be a much better shot than me!

A factory barrel will shoot excellent groups. Having Allen cut and thread it will also insure it has a fresh, properly cut crown which will only help accuracy. Now, if you just want a bull barrel, then by all means, buy away!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Moore Gunworks in Avon Indiana is a very reasonable threading service. Does good work, and doesn't charge much. I threaded an old factory barrel recently.

enjoy your can.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Id never poo poo anyone’s ideas for building a gun, but if you can outshoot a factory barrelmwoth either Tech sights or a red dot, you must be a much better shot than me!

A factory barrel will shoot excellent groups. Having Allen cut and thread it will also insure it has a fresh, properly cut crown which will only help accuracy. Now, if you just want a bull barrel, then by all means, buy away!

I'm definitive not going to outshoot a stock barrel with irons, that's for sure. It's just the thought of spending almost as much to thread a stock barrel as a new barrel that is likely better doeasn't appeal to me much (although that doesn't mean I won't do it). The stock rifle as is might end up with a red dot on it anyway, since I seem to be putting them on everything now as I get older.

I finally ordered the CZ 455 (the tacticool, though, not the precision), so I will at least have one thing the can will thread onto when it gets here. Now I just need to stress over what optic to put on it.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    AllenM, your work looks great! Price is pretty reasonable, too.

To the comment on adjusting with subsonic ammo in a 1/22, what's your experience with that? I'm curious as it's contrary to mine; arguably, my 10/22 is one of my best semi-auto 22LR suppressor hosts. I've run a lot of CCI Standard Velocity with no changes to the recoil system. It's good, accurate, and very quiet in any firearm I use. Rated velocity is about 1000 fps but I haven't been able to get it to go supersonic.

Top Bottom