• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullauto71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    New Albany
    Just purchased a Sparrow 22 suppressor, now I want to have something to put it on. I have several .22’s but don’t want to thread the barrels on them for various reasons. I do have a Kidd UL barrel on order for my 10/22, it should be delivered this week or next. So here is what I am looking at getting, I have narrowed it down to three choices. Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 22, Walther P-22, and the Ruger SR-22. I could go with a Ruger MKIV (and probably will eventually) but I have a MKIII 22/45 and want something different. I was wanting to hear from you guys who have these and hear your opinions, experiences, thoughts, concerns, why you picked one over the other if you were choosing these items as well and how it worked out for you. I have one standing out in my mind, but the reasoning is only based on the fact that I don’t own this manufacturer currently. So I ask those who hopefully have some experience to lend me their wisdom and let me know their thoughts.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Just purchased a Sparrow 22 suppressor, now I want to have something to put it on. I have several .22’s but don’t want to thread the barrels on them for various reasons. I do have a Kidd UL barrel on order for my 10/22, it should be delivered this week or next. So here is what I am looking at getting, I have narrowed it down to three choices. Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 22, Walther P-22, and the Ruger SR-22. I could go with a Ruger MKIV (and probably will eventually) but I have a MKIII 22/45 and want something different. I was wanting to hear from you guys who have these and hear your opinions, experiences, thoughts, concerns, why you picked one over the other if you were choosing these items as well and how it worked out for you. I have one standing out in my mind, but the reasoning is only based on the fact that I don’t own this manufacturer currently. So I ask those who hopefully have some experience to lend me their wisdom and let me know their thoughts.

I have the M&P 22 Compact, Ruger SR22, Walther PPQ M2-22 and Ruger 22/45 Lite. All are threaded and used as hosts. I've not had a single problem with any of them. The reason for the different sizes is I also have their "Big Brothers" in 9mm. This way people can shoot the .22 that fits their hand and then work their way up to the 9mm. Everyone's favorite is the 22/45 Lite as it has a red dot on it as well as a bunch of upgrades. You can see a friend's 4 year old son shooting it here.

The M&P is fun to shoot as well. I did a video comparing some different cans with it.

[video=youtube_share;99YGStrIaXg]http://youtu.be/99YGStrIaXg[/video]

You can hear the brass hitting the metal door in the background.
    Dan

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I originally purchased a Ruger SR-22 as a host for my 22 can. However, I ended up selling it and buying the S&W Compact 22 because I have other M&P pistols and wanted to have similar guns. There was nothing wrong with the Ruger, I just like the S&W better. My $0.02

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my recommendations in order are
    ruger mk4
    smith compact 22
    ruger sr22
    walther p22

now i dont have a can yet, so im basing my reasons on this

mk4 is gaining some steam in the accessory market, volquartsen, tandem kross, and others, so you can get a hell of a custom pistol, that you can attach a (direct thread, no adapter needed)suppressor too, (my 22/45 mk3 has a 1.125 # trigger pull and is accurate as all get out!)

smith compact is a comfortable gun with adjustable sights, mags are kinda cheep, but you are stuck with the base pistol, and be careful, i have a m&p 22 (full size) and the thread protector was put on by superman! (and parts wont interchange as the full size is made by walther in germany for smith, and smith makes the compact in america) even the thread adapter is different.

ruger sr22 has a better grip feel than the p22 and thats about it, great pistol,no aftermarket parts, it does come with the thread adapter (but i dont think it comes with a thread protector), but imho, spend more and get the mk22/44 lite.

walther p22, good pistol,no aftermarket parts(you have to buy the thread adapter) and even with my small hands, the base plate on the mag jams my hand up into the trigger guard, and is uncomfortable.

but your cheapest option would be to buy a pac lite upper for your 22/45, around 280.00, threaded, aluminum, drop your bolt in and go shooting (thats what i'm doing, it's going to be my main host)

that said, (again i dont have a can yet, its in nfa jail) but imho any of the guns you asked about would make a great host

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    For a pistol I'm a huge fan of the 22/45. I highly recommend you throw a volquartsen trigger in it as well. I know that's not one of the three you narrowed it to but I'd still just go for it. The only one of those I have not shot is the Walther, so I can't compare to it.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a whole bunch of hosts for my .22 can:

Sig Mosquito
    GSG 1911
    Ruger MKII with Pac-Lite upper (and original upper, too I guess)
    Beretta 21a
    Beretta Mod 70S

All of them are pretty good. Of the bigger guns, the Ruger is the most reliable. The other two seem to prefer higher velocity ammo, even with the suppressor. It's still quiet, but not as quiet.

But honestly, the one I like the best and is consistently the one I take out most often is the Beretta Mod 70S. I bought one of the ones imported with the stupid fake suppressors permanently attached pretty cheap off Gunbroker. I had ZR Tactical remove the can and put a 1/2x28 thread adapter on it.

That gun is the sweetest shooting little .22 auto ever. Plus, since they were supposedly made under the table by Beretta for the Mossad, it has bit of that spy cache attached.

Zs7xvKEFbGDPcX-ZA3Di0c7NsrT2nPqQ6Zumo57_RC1VaN6C66o-blAxjxY3UwnZIWluKLQck8teF_UGnh2TQ65iIY8LD74vIOfKQ_n_CFqZNQ51TfXbMulxRTdnQ-kZIMgIyTnptYdZDd7dbeMcls_JbPhCtU0aqV0ciuF0Gm5lwL6Bt780hNfK2hzb_M8Jv_2YecsbAQTY_y8BJB9RtOn8KAPUNey8jDp8FQ7SqNtxZeY-TXmLaEhgfruXfnVDEPuqi8c6JVdX632AFNsCCMMZZESrcn5Osl7a-xWCPW6ncJCNbUzD-BRGS778E-LbKByKsFQCt1MaDUODzK-IEvrBrnQfEw4dvMP348rKJp7AvVBrossGD2oTimeoz8DC8gJQTLJhCHibONItLfJflN7tXZmanUIFiDmRQfwxni-KPeChNLb_1vqkL0CH6a83SnoYWfY_bTLvyT2B60_IezNUBBCuSx2JFvGeiv1cI7u948yuguQYaoIC4zi295IAUmy95JPDYAm1VQjMcX9Tl6iSKlvoORo2PGi1H4eelpErtaHLo-sc-3NNTJWcLapUVlnNKS5-xjQ_fqlD-DZ5WaRAqXOhGHF5LvZ6UODelz_hO3F4Y8w8zy1ubFIn7r4UTd0qwSG_VurhpUMMVKWKLDmgiWe0XHMqYw=w1288-h640-no

But, if you are dead set on choosing between the Smith, the Walther, or SR22... I don't know. Frankly, all 3 of those strike me as virtually the same thing. I had a Walther P22 and sold it off a while ago. Neither of the other 2 really excited me either. Personally, I'd say either get a gun that is fun/sexy, or go with a larger target model, like the Ruger 22/45 Lite, so you can shoot it a bit more accurately.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I got the Sparrow for my 10/22 TD but also wanted to have a pistol host for it. I already had a Sig P220, so I just bought the conversion kit for it.
    Runs like a champ.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    I'm using a Walther P22. It's not an heirloom grade firearm, but it works pretty well. I did have to buy an aftermarket muzzle nut wrench, but that was <$10 and well worth it IMO.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have a S&W M&P .22. But I have yet to put my new suppressor on it. So I can't yet offer an opinion on how it shoots.

The same suppressor on an AR15-22 worked pretty good. (.22 LR)

fullauto71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    New Albany
    Well after much debate, and reading and watching reviews. I have come to the conclusion that I am more confused on what to get then before I started down this road (funny how that happens). So after reading reviews and forum pages it appears that any and all options are either flawless or lemons. So I have decided to just go with the one that appeals to me the most as far as looks go. Last night I purchased the Walther P-22 Q Military (the one with the green frame). I initially wanted the Smith and Wesson and I could have gotten it for about $20 cheaper but would have had to wait on it. I think I may decide to just go ahead and add one of each to the family. I will provide an update as to how the Walther performs when I get it to the range. Thanks to all for the advice.
    Walther.PNG

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well after much debate, and reading and watching reviews. I have come to the conclusion that I am more confused on what to get then before I started down this road (funny how that happens). So after reading reviews and forum pages it appears that any and all options are either flawless or lemons. So I have decided to just go with the one that appeals to me the most as far as looks go. Last night I purchased the Walther P-22 Q Military (the one with the green frame). I initially wanted the Smith and Wesson and I could have gotten it for about $20 cheaper but would have had to wait on it. I think I may decide to just go ahead and add one of each to the family. I will provide an update as to how the Walther performs when I get it to the range. Thanks to all for the advice.
    View attachment 62012

I have one in black and it's a great gun. Performs perfectly and is a proper gun for a new shooter who wants to graduate to a PPQ-9 or a VP9. I think you will be very happy with it.

fullauto71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    New Albany
    OK, initial range report. Took the Walther out last week and she seemed to function fine only had about three or four FTF but I think it was due to the ammo. It was bulk pack and the power levels were all over the place. Some hot loads and some very weak loads. Between the Walter and my Ruger MKII 22/45 I experienced the same issue. Weak rounds wouldn’t pick up the next round. As for accuracy well ill just say the short sight radius will take some getting used to. But that is more on me than the gun, when it warms up enough to go outside and shoot I’ll do some testing off the bench to see what she does. All in all, I am very happy, but have some concerns with lower velocity ammo. I was using high velocity and will need to test some standard and low velocity to see what to expect when I use that with the can. It may do better after some more shooting also. I put about 300 rounds through it so time will tell.

Thank you all, for you input and support.

Top Bottom