• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Since the ATF has come to its senses and allow the shouldering of AR pistols, what’s the purpose of building/buying a SBR and paying for the tax stamp?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Since the ATF has come to its senses and allow the shouldering of AR pistols, what’s the purpose of building/buying a SBR and paying for the tax stamp?

Revenue stream?

Exactly. Treat it like a pistol. Done.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    For when they reverse their stance in shouldering. And I much prefer my Larue butt stocks to all of the braces ive shot with.. the SB is nice but it's nearly the cost of a stamp and a nice stock lol

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is my understanding the ATF allows the shouldering of a brace equipped pistol but if you bought the brace with the intention of effectively constructing a SBR, you've crossed over into NFA territory. How's that for nuance?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As stated above. When I assembled my less than 16" barreled firearm it was always with the intention to shoulder so I created a rifle in the eyes of the atf thus requiring registration. Everyone here can kid themselves and hide behind the grey area but the fact is if you assembled your pistol configured AR with the intention of shouldering it the your breaking the law. Your only saving grace is that intent to that extent can not be proven. And some more food for thought, just cause you don't get caught doesn't make you less of a criminal

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For when they reverse their stance in shouldering. And I much prefer my Larue butt stocks to all of the braces ive shot with.. the SB is nice but it's nearly the cost of a stamp and a nice stock lol

That’s fair. The cost is about the same, but I won’t have my SBR for 8-12 months, which is the main issue for me.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I started doing SBRs before the braces came out. Just don't really have any interest in the braces, at this point. First time one hits the front page in an incident, ATF will probably flip flop again.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That’s fair. The cost is about the same, but I won’t have my SBR for 8-12 months, which is the main issue for me.

IN that case you can build a pistol and run the brace while you wait for the stamp to come in. Once it does you can remove the brace and pistol tube, install your stock and sell the brace and tube for the next guy who wants to do the same.

I'm so anal that I don't want my name engraved on my NFA items so I'm restricted to buying factory NFA items lol.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The "Honey Badger"-esque PDW "brace" sure seems to blur the line between what is and isn't a stock...even moreso than other SBT or Shockwave braces. Same is said for extended receiver extension tubes designed to, uh, TOTALLY NOT make a brace length-of-pull more like a stock.

There's the letter of the law and there's the intent of the law...and eventually, I believe the law (policy/interpretation) will again be changed.

That being said, saving the cost of a stamp and not needing a 'mother may I' letter to travel across state lines are definitely in favor of a 'pistol' configuration.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    IN that case you can build a pistol and run the brace while you wait for the stamp to come in. Once it does you can remove the brace and pistol tube, install your stock and sell the brace and tube for the next guy who wants to do the same.

I'm so anal that I don't want my name engraved on my NFA items so I'm restricted to buying factory NFA items lol.

I agree on the engraving, can't stand it. I'll go with a form 4 gun whenever possible.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As stated above. When I assembled my less than 16" barreled firearm it was always with the intention to shoulder so I created a rifle in the eyes of the atf thus requiring registration. Everyone here can kid themselves and hide behind the grey area but the fact is if you assembled your pistol configured AR with the intention of shouldering it the your breaking the law. Your only saving grace is that intent to that extent can not be proven. And some more food for thought, just cause you don't get caught doesn't make you less of a criminal

The same could be said of those who flagrantly walk all over the Constitution.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got my SB Tac brace on sale through Optics Planet a few months back. I think I had just under $170 to my door in it. I don't think I could get my stamp and similar stock for about the same money.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Your Trust name doesn't need to have your actual name in it. You could engrave "Phylodog" if you want.

I got my SBR before the brace craze. I just wanted a shorter rifle to run with a suppressor. I doubt I'll ever do another SBR and in fact have an unassembled pistol kit in the safe now.

Top Bottom