• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'd like to buy a suppressor for my 5.56 AR15. What does a guy look for? There are so many different brands and I am totally new to this. Any advice?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lots of options out there anymore but the differences will be in their mount (typically ratchet/QD or direct thread), material (stainless or titanium) baffle design, length, and effectiveness. A lot of it comes down to preference and application. For an SBR lots of guys like a smaller can so the rifle isn't overly long, but the downside is less suppression.

This is a very broad topic, can you give us some particulars on use and what aspects would be important to you?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This is just the tip of the iceberg but in my opinion should be the first few questions you should ask yourself.

wil I be using it on multiple hosts? If so are all of those devices threaded the same? If so you can get away with direct thread but if quick detach is something you'd like you better do your research as muzzle devices are all over the place in cost and are a factor some forget about till it's to late.

what barrel length will it be used on? While most cans will outlast therir owners, if your going to be running a can on a super short SBR you should be investing in one made of Inconel or materials in that realm. Super short barrels are like plasma cutters.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Don't get a 556 suppressor. Get a 30 caliber.
    +1

The reason being, a 556 suppressor is pretty much only going to be useful for shooting 556. A 30 cal suppressor, on the other hand, will be just as useful on your 556 rifle, but will work on tons of other hosts: 308, 30-06, 300 blackout, 243, 6.5, and on and on.

The slight drawback is that a 30 cal can is a little bigger, although bigger means quieter. The other thing I suspect you’ll find is that 556 really doesn’t impress suppressed. It looks really cool, but you can’t shoot subsonic in 556 that I’m aware of, so you’ll always have a sonic crack when you fire. On a 300 yard range outside, not too bad. Indoors or even a tight shooting bay? You’re ears will be ringing just like shooting without a can.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Quality and value. They're expensive and thanks to our ignorant elected representatives, cumbersome to obtain. So if something goes wrong, or you want it for a different purpose, you're again at the back of the line.

For me, it was half novelty and half for my dad. His ears just don't let him shoot anymore. A suppressor lets us go shoot (still have to go to private ranges). Then you look at the pricetag. Not uncommon to be more expensive than the gun it's going on, plus $200. It's pretty clear you want this purchase to perform and last.

When the Griffin Optimus came out, I was very excited. .22lr all the way to .300WM. Throw it on the plinker or the long range bolt gun and everything in between. Caliber specific would be quieter on the specified caliper, but also limited to that caliber.

I think I paid about $1500 all in for my Optimus (setup a trust, the product, and the tax). But, I've got a supressor that is of the highest quality, backed by a great company, that fits on every gun in my safe except for my .45 and my shotgun. I can have it on my Ruger 10/22 and on my .300blk AR within a minute, and then over to my 9mm pistol just as fast.

Value to me was stretching that dollar to get the most use and enjoyment out of the product. Quality meant that this enjoyment is insured for several years. I read stories about poor fitment, baffle strikes and limited availability of parts, threads damaged from carbon build-up, etc. I corresponded with Griffin sales a few times before my purchase and feel confident I got the right product for myself. Others have told me that the Optimus isn't as quiet as their Sparrow, or their Omega. Value to them must mean as quiet as possible.

Just do your research and write down what you want out of your purchase. Then find the products that match that list of wants. Then deep research those products to see which one has the greatest value to you.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    As many have said...

1) Hosts. My first suppressor was a .30 cal and has been used 5.56mm-.308

2) Mounts. It can be the best suppressor on the market, but if it doesn’t fit your WASR-10 you want to have blowing back in your face, you’ll be disappointed.

3) Weight. Needs and designs are different between a belt fed and a .300 Blackout shooting subsonic only. Full auto needs heavier construction than a titanium can in a lightweight hunting rifle.

4) Length. Any suppressor adds weight out front, compounded by a longer design.

~10 years ago when I bought my van from Acme Sports, YHM was the only game in town for a versatile use suppressor. It was a stainless .308, and she’s a pig. They’ve since updated their line a lot; I think the new Turbo looks amazing, and frankly it’s cheaper and lighter than many F1 titanium designs.

I wish I could give you firsthand experience with the YHM Turbo, but based on the little bit of information posted, it Should meet your needs well.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Figuring out what you want out of the suppressor is definitely the first thing you want to do.

For me, I wanted quiet. I have a dedicated 22lr suppressor, an integrated suppressor for my 9mm Tavor and soon a .30 can for my 300bo and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I will probably end up getting another .30 can for the blackout. Eventually I will probably end up with one on most of my guns.

I don't like moving the suppressor from gun to gun. I prefer to attach it and leave it. I also like quiet. A can made for a caliber will usually be quieter than using one made for a larger caliber. It is all a trade off.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the input. These are all suggestions I would not have taken into consideration. Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about the subject. My primary interest in owning one is just to have a quieter gun. I did not realize you can buy one suppressor for a variety of calibers and use it on multiple firearms. I didn't want to go a gun shop and get something sold to me because that's what they have in stock at the time. Keep the knowledge coming!

Last edited:

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the input. These are all suggestions I would not have taken into consideration. Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about the subject. My primary interest in owning one is just to have a quieter gun. I did not realize you can buy one suppressor for a variety of calibers and use it on multiple firearms. I didn't want to go a gun shop and get something sold to me because that's what they have in stock at the time. Keep the knowledge coming!

Likewise, keep information coming.

1) What firearm families do you intend to suppress?
    2) What calibers do you intend to suppress?
    3) What is your budget?
    4) Does the thought of a proprietary $75 muzzle brake scare you? $100? $150? $400 Triple Tap?

My information is a little dated, but there’s enough people and knowledge here we can get you some options as you go down the path.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    Oh, and I forgot to add, but congratulations on making this big decision. It’ll be a lot of fun. I found buying and then using a can almost as exciting as the first time I went shooting. :D

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    I can personally recommend the Dead Air Sandman S as a good 30-cal suppressor. Everyone present has remarked how incredibly quiet my .308 is.

View attachment 62081

Very nice. I use my Phantom on a 700 AAC-SD in .308, and it’s truly amazing how quiet a bolt action host is without the action noise by your ear. My uncle nicknamed it “pellet gun” after seeing it in action.

Ive read great things about Dead Air but haven’t played with one. Looks like they make a lot of very impressive suppressors.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Don't forget POI shift.

I bought 2 suppressors fairly quickly recently. I read up on them over the years and couldn't justify the expense. I said to hell with it. I bought a cheapy .22 can and then an AAC. I just started the process on the AAC. I've read there are some issues with the can and QD Adapter. Will have to wait and see. I did buy for multiple calibers. I did buy a 30 cal to suppress a 300BO, 308 and soon to be 6.5 creedmore.

I do want to follow it up with either a 9mm one or a 5.56 dedicated.

-JD-

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd still suggest a 30 caliber can and dedicate it to 556 if you want. Some of them suppress better (saker).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like my Saker .30 on my 5.56 but it's heavier than the 5.56 version. Tradeoff are everywhere!

Top Bottom