• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Fill out form 1 with ATF to build a suppressor.
    Once stamp comes in, buy and engrave the tube
    Take baffles from another suppressor that is already legally owned and install in form 1 suppressor.
    Send suppressor 2 back to factory to have "repaired" ... new baffles installed.

legal or no?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is going to sound like a strange answer, but asking the ATF about this makes some sense.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have no experience with suppressors, but wouldn't the "damaged" baffles need to go back as well?

To my understanding, yes the original damaged baffles would have to go back for replacement, or the whole original can would

You make a new silencer, your responsible to make the baffles for it

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It’s illegal to possess extra baffles. No suppressor Company is going to supply new baffles without getting the old ones back. If you do a ‘solvent trap’ there is a couple of companies who specialize in recording them to be more efficient. If you want to play that game, do what you are saying, punch a hole in a few freeze plugs to make a crap-tastic baffle stack and send it to one of these SOT’s to have it recored.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Adam Kraut at the gun collective did a video about this but I cannot find it.

rimfireOH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2017
    Easterly
    Hmm, I thought it was just the serialized part that was considered the suppressor. I've returned (and received back) various parts using just USPS in the past. And you can buy thread adapters, thread protectors and even pistons without going through the NFA process again.

Until I read this thread, I wouldn't have thought twice about the baffles (or other non-serialized parts) being the regulated part of the suppressor. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Hmm, I thought it was just the serialized part that was considered the suppressor. I've returned (and received back) various parts using just USPS in the past. And you can buy thread adapters, thread protectors and even pistons without going through the NFA process again.

Until I read this thread, I wouldn't have thought twice about the baffles (or other non-serialized parts) being the regulated part of the suppressor. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Suppressor parts are also considered suppressors:
    "(24)The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

Unfortunately, the ATF has discretion on determining what constitutes a part intended for use in assembling a silencer.

I would agree with the advice that you've been given that you would want to check with the manufacturer of your original can to see what their policy is regarding the internals of their can, and a letter to the ATF regarding your plan. A determination letter from the ATF is certainly better than a stint in the big house.

Also, the process of having a SOT recore a can is supposed to be pretty simple. I know of a couple of people who are supposed to do fantastic work, and several of the old "solvent trap" manufacturers have taken to selling new monocores as a service for form 1 can owners. Technically a stack of washers in tube can count as a form 1 can (or a form 4 in the case of the "po boy"), so you can certainly get by with a really cheap build in a nice tube if you intend to send it off for a recore job.

Mrmeseeks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 19, 2017
    Bloomington
    I understand this law but the form one make you the manufacturer, thus you would be allowed to have parts to repair your manufactured suppressor? Is that not correct? The above law I thought was intended for those without an Sot or a form 1.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    I understand this law but the form one make you the manufacturer, thus you would be allowed to have parts to repair your manufactured suppressor? Is that not correct? The above law I thought was intended for those without an Sot or a form 1.

no, the form 1 turns you into the maker, not a manufacturer. There are different rules/responsibilities and privileges afforded to manufacturers (SOTs) that do not extend to makers. Having "spare parts" is viewed the same as having "spare suppressors" laying around. I would definitely look into all of this a lot more, and would recommend calling an attorney and sending a letter to BATFE for clarification.

Top Bottom