Moving Serial from tube to somewhere else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Certainly. Putting it on the tube is not required but recommended by the ATF. I know of several people who have put it on their end cap.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Current regulations do not specify the placement of required identification markings on firearm silencers and firearm mufflers. However, ATF has provided the industry with some guidance on this issue. In its “Frequently Asked Questions—Silencers,” dated April 17, 2008, ATF stated the following:

The silencer must be marked in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102. The regulations require that the markings be conspicuous and legible, meaning that the markings may be placed on any external part, such as the outer tube or end cap. ATF strongly recommends that manufacturers place all required markings on the outer tube of the silencer, as this is the accepted industry standard. Moreover, this practice eliminates the need to remark in the event an end cap bearing the markings is damaged and requires replacement.

As I said, you can put it on the end cap if you want.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Sure, he can copy the number onto the cap, but if he touches the original number he risks jail. Ask ATF first.

I'm thinking of a Form 1 can and the initial engraving. You are correct he can copy it anywhere he wants. It was the moving it on an existing can I was missing.
    If it is a Form 4 can you cannot "move" the SN.
    If it is an unfired Form 1 can (with an approved form 1) you can move the SN. Once it's fired you cannot make any modifications or changes.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm thinking of a Form 1 can and the initial engraving. You are correct he can copy it anywhere he wants. It was the moving it on an existing can I was missing.
    If it is a Form 4 can you cannot "move" the SN.
    If it is an unfired Form 1 can (with an approved form 1) you can move the SN. Once it's fired you cannot make any modifications or changes.

Right. But he said move. So I'm assuming it's already a completed and stamped can. In that case as you, I and others said, No.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Maybe in this case the word "duplicate" would be more appropriate?

The OP wants to DUPLICATE the serial number from the tube, onto another part of the can. There is nothing wrong with that. He cannot remove/replace the original engraving on the tube though.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think for all intent and purposes, this is probably most likely a waste of time. What I'm worried about is if the tube is damaged, I still won't be able to replace the tube or repair it.

-JD-

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think for all intent and purposes, this is probably most likely a waste of time. What I'm worried about is if the tube is damaged, I still won't be able to replace the tube or repair it.

-JD-
    You're right that the tube cannot be replaced. Replacement equals manufacturing a new suppressor, which means a new tax.

A damaged tube can possibly be repaired (depending on the damage). If the damage or repair covers/obscures/destroys the initial engraving I believe an SOT may be permitted to duplicate the engraving (I'm no longer staying on top of all the opinions etc). They cannot replace the tube, they cannot replace the tube and "save" only the part with the engraving to weld into the new tube. Common sense generally prevails when determining if a repair is kosher or not. SOTs know what they're doing most of the time when it comes to legality.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If its a form 1 your the manufacturer so you can fix it, if it is not a form 1 then only the original manufacturer can repair or change it.
    You are wrong. Anyone taking your advice is gonna end up a fellon If caught.
    I don't care if youre the manufacturer or not. Once a can is made (can only be made after an aproved form 1 as an individual) you can't destroy or reproduce the same serial number or the serialized part. Unless it is taken out of the registry by being destroyed and a new serial number issued which means applying for a new stamp all over.
    If you have a bullet go through the serialized tube then your gonna be paying another stamp fee and waiting for them to approve it before you have a can in hand again

Last edited:
    Top Bottom