Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marksman

Moving Serial from tube to somewhere else?

Is it legal to take a suppressor that has the serial on the tube and move it to the threaded part? I'm thinking no.

You can not tamper with the S/N, especially on a NFA item.

Marksman
    Its not tampering, its "copying" it to another location on the NFA item. I guess I should say, not moving but putting on another location.

Certainly. Putting it on the tube is not required but recommended by the ATF. I know of several people who have put it on their end cap.

Marksman
    Its a Huntertown Arms Gen I Guardian 9. Its on the tube. Their Gen 2 has it on the part that screws onto the barrel, can I get it engraved there?

K_W
    You are risking jail time taking our advice, ask the ATF.

Absolutely NO
    PLEASE DONATE TO BRING SYLVAIN TO AMERICA
    https://www.gofundme.com/get-sylvain-here-k1-visa-fund

Current regulations do not specify the placement of required identification markings on firearm silencers and firearm mufflers. However, ATF has provided the industry with some guidance on this issue. In its “Frequently Asked Questions—Silencers,” dated April 17, 2008, ATF stated the following:

The silencer must be marked in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102. The regulations require that the markings be conspicuous and legible, meaning that the markings may be placed on any external part, such as the outer tube or end cap. ATF strongly recommends that manufacturers place all required markings on the outer tube of the silencer, as this is the accepted industry standard. Moreover, this practice eliminates the need to remark in the event an end cap bearing the markings is damaged and requires replacement.

As I said, you can put it on the end cap if you want.

K_W
    Quote Originally Posted by DanVoils View Post
    As I said, you can put it on the end cap if you want.
    Sure, he can copy the number onto the cap, but if he touches the original number he risks jail. Ask ATF first.

Quote Originally Posted by K_W View Post
    Sure, he can copy the number onto the cap, but if he touches the original number he risks jail. Ask ATF first.
    I'm thinking of a Form 1 can and the initial engraving. You are correct he can copy it anywhere he wants. It was the moving it on an existing can I was missing.
    If it is a Form 4 can you cannot "move" the SN.
    If it is an unfired Form 1 can (with an approved form 1) you can move the SN. Once it's fired you cannot make any modifications or changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast