• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Question: A friend of mine is looking to sell his 14" Remington 870 Police to me that is currently stamped as an AOW. Rather than do an AOW transfer, is it possible to have this item removed from the NFA registry, and complete a 4473 transfer to me as "other", thus allowing me to add a Raptor style grip (like a Tac-14)? I'm familiar with the NFA process and realize that it is only a $5 transfer. I'm just looking for a little more flexibility for when I travel and wasn't sure if form 5320.20 applied to AOW's? I plan on calling the ATF, just wanted to see what the general consensus was first.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    5320.20 is not required for AOWs or silencers.

Yeah, you could do that. If you ever want to change the grip back, it'll cost you $200 to make an AOW instead of the $5 to transfer. I would leave it an AOW. If you want a Tac-14, just buy one.

moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    My understanding of the whole "firearm" phenomenon is that these items are all built off of virgin receivers. Meaning they have never been transferred/registered as a: shotgun, rifle or pistol. Once said "pew pew" item has been transferred/registered as either a shotgun, rifle or pistol, you can't go backwards & "make" it a firearm/AOW without NFA paperwork. I'd be interested to hear the BATFE's official ruelling on the matter though.

Edit - and I doubt you'll get an answer over the phone. Typically they require you to submit a sample to the technology division & they send you a letter. Like the brace. Do you want to risk sending in your AOW or illegally converted SBS?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Honestly, if 532.20 doesn't apply to AOW's, $5 is a cheap insurance policy to make sure I stay compliant. That, or I might just pick up a TAC-14 and form 1 this one as an SBS.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My understanding of the whole "firearm" phenomenon is that these items are all built off of virgin receivers. Meaning they have never been transferred/registered as a: shotgun, rifle or pistol. Once said "pew pew" item has been transferred/registered as either a shotgun, rifle or pistol, you can't go backwards & "make" it a firearm/AOW without NFA paperwork. I'd be interested to hear the BATFE's official ruelling on the matter though.

I disagree. It's about meeting the definitions.

If it's an AOW, it is by definition not a rifle or shotgun. If it's a firearm with an overall length of 26" or more, but it's not a rifle or shotgun, then it's a "firearm" like the Tac-14.

You need a virgin receiver to make an AOW just like you do to make those 14" barreled "firearms" that don't require a stamp. But you could still turn a "firearm" into an AOW by paying the fee, or an AOW into a "firearm" by making it 26"+ and asking ATF to remove it from the registry.
    Neither way is making something new from a rifle or shotgun because neither the AOW nor the "firearm" are a rifle or shotgun.

Top Bottom