• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    So, just looking for some thoughts and past experiences. So when one had a AR type pistol and now has approval to make into SBR, my question is about engraving or lack of.

I am aware that the original firearm with the original markings from factory stay as is. I also realize the "name" or person or trust and city need to be done. I am aware this part is legal to have put on the barrel or receiver and wonder if anyone has had the engraving info placed on the barrel? Placing on the barrel does not concern me for the other reasons of some people.....swapping uppers like some do so I understand why those people would want to engrave the lower receiver.

Also while researching I also read one article when actually the ATF did not require the engraving unless the weapon was going to be sold later....anybody know what I am speaking of on this part? ----- I got this info from www.truthaboutguns.com and a section titled.... Do You Need To Engrave Your Form 1'ed SBR ? Sorry for the lack of knowledge to be able to past a link !!!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Cailber is also required, and has to be visible (ie not hidden by a handguard). I realized this too late during the process of filing for a 7.5" SBR and had to take the receiver back a second time to get the caliber engraved on it.

Engraving is not required when making a firearm for yourself (ie 80% lower). I'm not sure it's required if you even sell it.
    It is required if you file it as a class III. And you cannot e-file because 'self made' is not a drop down MANUFACTURER on their site (or at least it wasn't when I filed for my 80% lower made into an SBR).

I'd be leary of placing trust info on the barrel only. My thought it that barrel could be placed onto another pistol, leaving the receiver unmarked. But I'm no expert
    ETA: ^legal to mark the barrel, but you can't remove the barrel I gather?

ATF is pretty clear in it's guidelines re: engraving requirements for NFA stuff:
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-6/download
    ATF said:
    All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the pplicant must assign a unique serial number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4 digits preceded by the initials of the maker.
    NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to the alpha characters.

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    [STRIKE]1) the receiver has to be engraved, it's the firearm, NOT THE BARREL![/STRIKE]
    2) caliber is not required as part of the engraving of manufacture and city state BUT caliber must be visible on some part of the gun be it barrel, dust cover, etc.
    3) regardless of intention to sell or not, it must be engraved

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    OP, you are good to go to engrave on the barrel, but keep in mind, you would have to engrave any and all barrels used.

Robby built his from a 80% lower, that's why he had to have a serial number engraved. If you are turning an existing, factory built, weapon into a SBR, that's not going to apply to you, yours will already have a serial number.

Most people do engrave the actual lower, simply because it's easier, not because it's required.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    021EC8DD-6D54-46D2-BE3B-41D7C6138A2D_zpsue2if8qu.png

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-7/download

the above photo is from page 5 from the link. It states the barrel is good to go.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    KJQ6945 is 100% right on the engraving part. I stand corrected.
    I also called one of my ATF buddies and he said the exact same thing. He's out of the field office in Chicago.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for verifying Rolex. It's always nice to have a real person agree to what is written.

I had had to go the barrel route when I did my HK UMP. There's just not much metal on those guns to engrave, and I didn't want to do it on the plastic.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    OP, you are good to go to engrave on the barrel, but keep in mind, you would have to engrave any and all barrels used.

Robby built his from a 80% lower, that's why he had to have a serial number engraved. If you are turning an existing, factory built, weapon into a SBR, that's not going to apply to you, yours will already have a serial number.

Most people do engrave the actual lower, simply because it's easier, not because it's required.

Yes, A serial # is required on an nfa item. Reading further in the ATF doc I quoted:
    "The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements. "

^Yeah, caliber is also required. Oddly, a model # had to be spec'd on my 80% lower.
    I will re-iterate, that an engraving on a barrel is fine, as long as it is not obscured. A handguard/barrel shroud/what have you obscures viewing of such engraving.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    man and I thought that under the handguard was OK as long as it wasn't permanently covered. A few years ago I know guys were putting NFA markings under the handguards on AKs.

Top Bottom