• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Ok, so I had a gun store owner in B-town off of HWY45 tell me the other day that OBAMA put in some executive order years back that made it illegal cut or thread barrels on new firearms.
    I have not heard of such a thing, but thought I would check here to see if there was ANY truth or if the info is schewed.
    Johnny C

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Did the guy have a pre-cut/-threaded version that he was trying to sell, for a premium?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    And these guys are suppose to be on our side? :rolleyes:

Someone needs to go there at set this dude straight.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    skewed? More like an outright lie.

The amount of misinformation coming from LGS is sad.

I find it about par with car salesman and what they say. Some will tell you anything they feel is needed to make the sale. Rather sad when they can’t quote the information correctly from the brochure on their desk.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Did the guy have a pre-cut/-threaded version that he was trying to sell, for a premium?

Maybe..., I asked him if their smith could chop down a Ruger MK2 barrel and thread it for me and got that reply. He looked up barrels on the ruger site and there wasn't a threaded one offered.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ya know what may have confused that gun store employee was a ruling about machining an 80% lower using someone else's equipment. The 80% milling parties were gaining in popularity and iirc ATF put out some stupid memo about the host needing to be an FFL.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I believe the rule your person was referring to had to do with gunsmiths operating without an FFL. I'm not sure whatever came of that executive action, but if i recall, at the time it was supposed to stop people without valid licensing from operating a business that essentially did gunsmithing work.

Edit, quick google search shows this:
    https://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/re...rder-really-affect-ability-gun/#axzz58cn1djhc

Last edited:

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    $2250!

I tried to have some ghost rings put on a shotgun and the LGS couldn't do it as it involved drilling / tapping the receiver. Seems they haven't paid the ITAR tax and didn't want to risk it. Kind of sucks as they have a real deal gunsmith but he is limited to what he can do. I'm sure there are those that don't pay it, but it's all fun and games until your name is in the Plaintiff section.

Top Bottom