Alright, I've completed step one...feeling a bit overwhelmed moving forward.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hello INGO, I have an issue I think you can help.

I have had the suppressor itch ever since I was lucky enough to go to INGO NFA day a few years back. None of the handguns I owned had a threaded barrel and I really couldn't decide what caliber I wanted to dive into, since I would be buying a new gun to fit the purpose...

So, Friday I "pulled the trigger" on my first new handgun purchase in years...a FN FNX .45 "Tactical".

I had been looking for a H&K USP .45 "Tactical", but no one seems to have one, and all the suppliers seem to be out as well. The FNX has many of the same features as the USP, with a 50% increase in magazine capacity.

I took it out on the range right after I bought it. Shoots smooth. It's a pretty big gun, even when compared to the Government 1911 I sometimes carry. I won't be carrying this one...but it will make for a fine suppressor host.

So, here's the deal...I can't decide which suppressor to buy. I'm vapor locked here...I have no experience with these products. I've looked at so many websites I can't tell fact from hype. $1500 for a Knight's Armament? Sure, if it's the best out there, and will last a lifetime...but I could get a SilencerCo for $600. Is there a difference? What is it? Is it worth spending the extra money? Is it hype?

I read through Scutter01's excellent write-up describing the NFA suppressor process, so I feel pretty good about the tax-stamp side of things.

Suppressor guys...what are your favorite .45 pistol suppressors, and why?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Find a can you like, then check for the availability and price of all the additional parts you might need. The accessories can add up pretty quick. I have an AAC Ti-Rant .45, it came with the piston to run on a 1911.

I use it on a variety of other guns. The pistons run about $75 each. Fixed barrel spacer to use it on a rifle. 3 lug adapter for the MP5. All that stuff adds up pretty quick, and can exceed to cost of the can.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Paul, the 3 you need to look at are the Tirant 45m, Ghost 45m, or the Obsedian. The KAC USP suppressor is overpriced for what it is and doesn't suppress all too well, so I've read. Of the 3 listed, all suppress well. May want to look into cost of their accessories as a deciding factor in case you want to go 3 lug on a PCC down the road. I own an old school Tirant 45 and bought the 3 lug module so I could use it on my 9mm PCC. The Tirant is still one of if not the quietest 45 can on the market. Warning though, this will most likely not be your last suppressor purchase. Cans are almost as bad as BRD

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd also look to see if you can use it on other calibers. The Griffin Revolution can be used on 556.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Find a can you like, then check for the availability and price of all the additional parts you might need. The accessories can add up pretty quick. I have an AAC Ti-Rant .45, it came with the piston to run on a 1911.

I use it on a variety of other guns. The pistons run about $75 each. Fixed barrel spacer to use it on a rifle. 3 lug adapter for the MP5. All that stuff adds up pretty quick, and can exceed to cost of the can.

This is the one I have.
    Multi-caliber.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I run a Hybrid on my FNX Tactical and have been extremely pleased with it and is an awesome combo

I'm waiting on the stamp for my Obsidian 45 to come in but I've shot an Obsidian on my FNX before and was another amazing combo

Id look into either one of those personally

I'm not huge into the Ghost. I've shot them before and the tone and pitch in a 45 seemed off

No experience with a Tirant 45 or 45m (I have a Tiramt 9 though), only thing about that that bugs me is the fact AAC is owned by Freesom Group

So again, Obsidian or Hybrid FTW in my mind

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had the KAC when I had my USP Tac. It worked extremely well. Wet was a pellet gun sound damn near. That was 1999 and there are plenty out there now who are just as good if not better.

Bob

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think you’ve shot my Osprey .45. I am happy with it. I’ve shot it alongside a TiRant .45 and the tones are a bit different but the reduction in noise is about the same to my ear.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't have a pistol can, but I'd like to get the Osprey 45. It seems the best choice for me and gives me hope of not having to necessarily change out all of the sights on some of my guns I'd run it on.

Interested in what others have to say about the choices posted by the OP and also VUPDBlue's Osprey.

Thanks all...

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for all the input, guys. I’m going to spend the next few days checking around my local dealers (Indy) to see what they have “in stock”.

Any favorite (semi)local dealers worth checking out that might not be on my radar?

I tend to haunt Premier Arms, Bradis, USDS, Indy Arms, Fort Liberty, PSS, and Copperhead...but I’ll drive to visit a new gun store!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Drive to Acme Sports in Seymour. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. I have three pending with them as we speak :)

I'd have to agree. Acme in Seymour is the reason I own 6 stamps, with the plan of a few more this year. They are one of the largest class 3 dealers in Indiana and have the largest suppressor inventory on hand. They can also get just about anything you can think of as well. Ask for Alex.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    All my in hand F4s have acme on them too. Always like talking with Alex. All the other dudes in there seem a little dry to me at least

Top Bottom