• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Just researching here, What is a Form 1? I was reading on another forum where a guy applied for his form 1 to build a solvent trap. Is this needed to manufacture a trap? then later get a form 4? Like I said, I'm just in research phase, I shot a solvent trap and was quite impressed.

Has anyone build their own can? if so please inform on the steps needed for legality.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A form 1 is for diy. Most of the time, it is for converting a rifle into an SBR. You won't need to do a form 4 later.

1. Get form 1 approved.
    2. Build your suppressor.

I have not built a suppressor. Someone on here has, it's somewhere in this section but I don't think there was a lot of technical information.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Just researching here, What is a Form 1? I was reading on another forum where a guy applied for his form 1 to build a solvent trap. Is this needed to manufacture a trap? then later get a form 4? Like I said, I'm just in research phase, I shot a solvent trap and was quite impressed.

Has anyone build their own can? if so please inform on the steps needed for legality.

A form 1 is where you are the "maker" of an NFA item. (Manufacturer is something different.) You use a form 1 to request the stamp for a Suppressor, Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) or Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS). Once the stamp is approved you can build said item. As far as the solvent trap into a suppressor you can acquire all the parts for it but cannot do any drilling. You can engrave the tube but cannot form or drill the baffles or end cap. When you apply for the Form 1 you will need to know the overall length and caliber of the suppressor. You do not need to submit any plans or drawings. Once the Form 1 is approved you can build the can. You can change the internal design until you put a bullet through it. Once you "use" it the design cannot be changed. In theory when you disassemble it for cleaning you must reassemble it exactly the same way that it was disassembled.
    Search through the forum for more info on design layouts and results. I've built multiple Form 1 cans with great results.
    Dan

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A form 1 is where you are the "maker" of an NFA item. (Manufacturer is something different.) You use a form 1 to request the stamp for a Suppressor, Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) or Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS). Once the stamp is approved you can build said item. As far as the solvent trap into a suppressor you can acquire all the parts for it but cannot do any drilling. You can engrave the tube but cannot form or drill the baffles or end cap. When you apply for the Form 1 you will need to know the overall length and caliber of the suppressor. You do not need to submit any plans or drawings. Once the Form 1 is approved you can build the can. You can change the internal design until you put a bullet through it. Once you "use" it the design cannot be changed. In theory when you disassemble it for cleaning you must reassemble it exactly the same way that it was disassembled.
    Search through the forum for more info on design layouts and results. I've built multiple Form 1 cans with great results.
    Dan

Where did you get your info? There are things in your post I've never seen in any ATF documentation. I've also built a couple Form 1 freeze plug / solvent trap suppressors. There's a pretty detailed thread here with pictures, jigs, parts info, etc. Search for my handle "Hop" and "Form 1".

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah you can change out cores or baffles at any time. What you cannot do is stockpile those items. So long as the tube is the registered part, what's inside doesn't matter. Hell, I could send any number of my older cans to the manufacturer, or a third party manufacturer, and get them re-cored with new technology, no problem.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yeah you can change out cores or baffles at any time. What you cannot do is stockpile those items. So long as the tube is the registered part, what's inside doesn't matter. Hell, I could send any number of my older cans to the manufacturer, or a third party manufacturer, and get them re-cored with new technology, no problem.
    I think the issue here is the difference between "manufacturer" and "maker". A person making a device on a Form 1 is "maker" but per ATF guidance, only "manufacturers" (implying a licensed manufacturer) can switch out cores etc. IMHO (IANAL) a Form 1 "MAKER" changing cores/designs/etc is a gray area. I haven't seen definitive proof that it is illegal to do, but those purporting it to be illegal do have a point that has made me change my stance on the issue in recent years. The thing that really caused me to consider that stance as valid was when the ATF flip-flopped on wipes. It used to be that wipes were considered user-serviceable and the user could posses spares and change them out. The ATF changed their stance on that and now SOTs have to change wipes out (IIRC). If an SOT is needed to change out wipes, then how can it be legal to change out cores and other parts, especially on solvent traps?

Just my thoughts...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It seems to me to be more like a matter of extra suppressor parts on hand rather than being an SOT just to do the work. Gray area indeed. For the love of god, someone write a technical letter!!!!! /purple

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't remember if it was required but I did upload PDF drawings of my suppressor design when I did the e-file.

:patriot:

Top Bottom