• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Well this has been an experience so far and not done yet!!! I am cleaning the unit that has had about 300-500 22lr thru it last summer and fall and was never cleaned then. I am soaking for a few days to see how that goes but I only have a few different solvents right now that do not seem to be doing much good at all. Anyway, once it is cleaned I want to try and use the best ammo possible. Wondering what ammo is the cleanest and leaves the least lead in the baffles. Do the copper wash/plated ammo such as CCI Mini-mags or some of the copper Federal's or Winchesters do any better? So far I have just put lead round nose thru it being Federal automatch, some Federal match ammo and some Lapua. I guess I never expected that much buildup inside the unit.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I put anything through mine and wet tumble the aluminum baffles (issues doing this are rumors) every 400 rounds or so. Copper washed or any coating leaves less lead.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    It's .22, so naturally dirty. I shoot Lapua through mine, but it's only slightly cleaner than CCI. IMO, subsonic ammo seems to be dirtier yet. I don't feel there is enough "oomph" to burn as completely as ss ammo. Any jacketed ammo will be cleaner yet.
    I assume your suppressor has aluminum baffles? Mine does, and I just soak in in Hoppe's overnight and then scrub. Some of the heavier leading gets a razor blade to flake it off, but go gently as you don't want to scratch the aluminum. When finished, I just have some black staining. Shoot another 3-400 rounds and repeat.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Cleaning? Mehhhh..... I've got an old school sealed 22 can, never have cleaned it. I used to stress about it and was thinking of having it jail broke. Anymore I just shoot it and don't worry. If it plugs up I'll buy a newer, lighter, smaller and user serviceable can.

As far as ammo. I only shoot copper jacked (washed) ammo in the hopes that it would cut down in leading. Does it help? I don't know as 22 ammo is all sorts of dirty, but that is what I do.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use DOT 5 brake fluid in my suppressor to clean it. Outside of course. I store it in an old pickle jar. I pretreated my internals with Frog Lube and a commercial heatgun. Works well so far.
    I'd avoid using the 'dip' unless you are extremely distressed with the baffles being clogged. It's nasty juju and not to be taken lightly.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I put mine in a sonic bath every once in a while. I have SS baffles tho. If you do as well I can loan you the cleaner to test and see if it is worth it for you. I can't remember the last time I cleaned mine. They take a lot of rounds.

Top Bottom