• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have an AR pistol which is just under 26". I was already thinking about having the muzzle device (which will be a suppressor qd mount), pinned and welded on the barrel. If I do, the weapon will now be over 26", and no longer a pistol. It also won't be an AOW. It will be in that weird category of just being a "firearm."

Primary reason I am looking to do this will be the ability to install a vertical grip. That will allow me to place my gear on the rail differently (in particular a TAPS PRO switch), and without it the gun is just not coming together as I want.

Any main drawbacks in IN and with IN law to having the gun be a "firearm" instead of an AR Pistol?

I have a handgun permit, but I don't think that'll matter. Either way, could I transport it in my vehicle loaded?

Thanks,

Mark

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I too have an AR (almost) pistol that is technically a "firearm." On mine, the barrel is under 16" but the overall length is 26.5".

You are correct that this allows you to add a vertical foregrip (since it's over 26" total). If you can keep a loaded rifle in a vehicle, and if you have a LTCH (in case someone just considers this a "long pistol") I **think** you'd be fine. But, laws regarding "firearms" that are neither rifle, nor pistol, nor AOW, nor SBR are tricky.

Tagged for interest

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yup. That’s one of the shames with our gun laws as they currently sit.
    anti-gunners, being incredibly naive as they are, complain about how completely lax they are. Geez they have no idea.

its a complicated web where half the time there’s contradictions and it’s easy to break a law while trying your best to be abiding. Almost like it’s designed to be that way...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ya, -
    But there's just nothing that beats having a real stock on a short barreled rifle. You don't need to worry about measuring or pinned barrel attachments, etc...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Ya, -
    But there's just nothing that beats having a real stock on a short barreled rifle. You don't need to worry about measuring or pinned barrel attachments, etc...

totally agree. In a weird way, I prefer a real SBR vs skating laws. Maybe it’s because I don’t worry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The only thing preventing me from doing SBR so far is how I go shoot when I visit my family in IL.
    but I can just bring my other ARs.
    my other pistol lower has JP SCS and it’s not compatible with the AR in question’s BCG.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The only thing preventing me from doing SBR so far is how I go shoot when I visit my family in IL.
    but I can just bring my other ARs.
    my other pistol lower has JP SCS and it’s not compatible with the AR in question’s BCG.

how do you like the JP SCS? Obviously a noticeable difference over stock, but is there a noticeable different over something like an spikes stt-2 / carbine spring setup?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    It's considered a handgun by Indiana law, so if you have a LTCH you're good to keep it loaded in your vehicle.

I have a 11.5" barreled AR "firearm" with a Shockwave blade and a VFG. It's a pretty nice handling gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ya, -

True... BUT, you DO need to worry about leaving the state with it...lol
    SMH at the stupidity of the laws-- repeal the NFA

Top Bottom