• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Does anyone have one of the new(er) Fightlite MCR belt fed uppers? Or have any real trigger time on them?

Over the years, I've followed the various drama around Ares and the Shrike (and then their recentish rebrand to Fightlite and the release of the MCR, replacing the older Shrike).

I keep considering, off and on, picking one up for my M16 RR lower, so I'll have a 5.56 beltfed to go along with my HK21 .308 beltfed. But it's hard getting solid info. A lot of the more professional Youtube type gun reviews are all fairly positive (though I've seen at least one commenting on problems running anything other than brass M855 through it). But their name is pretty much mud in a lot of online forums. What I don't know is if that is residual holdover grudges (and not necessarily unjustified) over how they handle the release of the Shrike initially and the problems they had, or if this is an accurate representation of their current product's capabilities.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I've heard from a gentleman that currently works in the firearms industry that the fightlite uppers are not built for "long-term" use and require frequent part replacement. I forget specifically what parts he said were prone to breakage but it sounded like a significant recurring cost the operator would need to eat, assuming full-auto use of course.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Sounds like still aren't really there yet, in terms of functionality. That's too bad. I really would like a 5.56 belt fed and while I got my HK21 for an amazing price, it's the original 21 and not a 21E, so I can't buy a 5.56 23E conversion (and I can't justify dropping another $12,000 on a second beltfed gun).

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    Along these same lines, I have been wondering if there are any transferable sears that a person could put in the currently produced FN SAW249s or is the trigger assembly completely different between the semi auto and full auto versions?
    /

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Along these same lines, I have been wondering if there are any transferable sears that a person could put in the currently produced FN SAW249s or is the trigger assembly completely different between the semi auto and full auto versions?
    /

Machinegun Armory handled this a few years back. They created a semi-auto M249 and M240 series of guns that actually used an H&K lower, which would let you utilize an HK sear or trigger box to make them full auto. Unfortunately, the ATF ruled that since the M240/249 platform wasn't originally design to use the H&K roller lock lower, it would be creating a post-sample machinegun to put a full auto lower on those guns. So, they pretty much kiboshed that.

This is the same thing they did when people figured out that the FN FNC registered sears could be used to turn the FN SCAR into a machinegun. They declared that a post-sample as well, because the SCAR wasn't part of the same line as the FNC.

Shall not be infringed indeed. :xmad:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thanks Beowulf, well that quashes that dream.

Yup, I'm right there with you, as I have a sear. Just like the ATF also did with the XMG AR-15 upper, ruling it a gun in its own right, so putting an XMG upper on an M16 full auto lower somehow magically creates a brand new unregistered machine-gun.

Nothing that comes out of the ATF makes any real sense.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom