• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I get bored and this is the nonsense that I think of. I've been wanting a bolt gun in 300blk for fun. Then I got to thinking that 300blk only needs 10.5" of barrel to get a full burn. Then I got to wondering if anyone has sbr'd a bolt gun and now i'm afraid I won't be able to stop myself. Any reason not to do this?

Another thought was to get a chassis that uses ar buffer tubes, a virgin action, and install a brace and try my luck explaining my new pistol... Probably safer going with a stamp and enjoying the full size rifle until it comes back tho.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yep. You'd have to rob a gas station then.

yML34La.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    How about a Sig Brace for it and save the NFA paperwork.

I think I'd have to start with a virgin receiver to "legally" do that. And I'd actually save money buying a 600 dollar rifle then waiting to cut it down than buying a receiver, barrel, chassis, brace, and paying a smith to put the barrel on the receiver for me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    How about a Sig Brace for it and save the NFA paperwork.

"Once a rifle, always a rifle"...though he could always build a custom or Rem-Age off a bare receiver.

Here's one that I saw a few years back on SnipersHide and AR15.com that always held my attention:

5ylhsSY.jpg

It's a Remington 700 with 10.5" 1:7 223 barrel and M4/2000 suppressor, and the owner ran 80gr Amax @ 2540fps with Varget. Used it as a pig-killin' rifle down in Tejas.

If *I* ever did a bolt action SBR, I'd likely do a 10.5-12.5" fast twist 223 as well.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Before .300 Black Out was a thing, I saw a bolt action .308 that had been SBR'ed for suppressor use with handloaded subsonic ammo...funny thing was that the guy ended up liking it better when he ran regular surplus ammo in it without the suppressor attached. Huge flash and boom. Saw it a machinegun shoot. I think there is video of it online when the guy was in Texas at a local shoot.

ETA: It's not stupid if YOU will have fun with your new SBR'ed rifle. In the end, that's all the justification you need.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I posted a while back about the same idea. I would love to have a 10" Blackout bolt action. I think it would make a killer little deer rifle, and very handy suppressed.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Or....you could build a 16” integrally suppressed barrel and have a one stamp, short, suppressed rifle. I know a guy

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Wheels are in motion now... I found a few more that have been sbr'd and I dig it. The wife rolled her eyes, so I think that is permission, at least more than last time lol

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yep. You'd have to rob a gas station then.

yML34La.jpg

Why does Luger get it's own category? Are there people running around robbing gas stations with Lugers? What about other old pistols? Should the C96 Mauser gets its own category? What about a mustache twirling ne'er-do-well with a C93 Borschardt?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've see some SBR'd bolt guns. Q is selling them now with their mini fix too. Another option which may not interest you at all is going with a break open. A 16" TC contender is short enough that it feels like an SBR but it's not.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've see some SBR'd bolt guns. Q is selling them now with their mini fix too. Another option which may not interest you at all is going with a break open. A 16" TC contender is short enough that it feels like an SBR but it's not.

I have no problems with break action, I have a wonderful contender that my grandfather owned. I am a bit of a tactical diva tho. I'll admit part of my obsession with the hobby is building and shooting guns relevant to me. I respect revolvers, break barrels, and levers... I just lose interest in less than modern rifles quickly. I wish I had q money, bdl has been posting his q kit and I'm a big fan, but for my one big gun a year I'm pretty well set on the Dave lauck plan.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I know some hate these things, but i picked one up in 300 and I really enjoy it. https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

I have one of the flush fit, and i found some magazines for $15 each, so i bought a few.. lol.
    The barrel is short enough for my tastes, it sure does seem shorter than the 16 inches. and it's already threaded.

I love mine...shoots like a champ and super, super quiet when suppressed.
    0212181104.jpg

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I posted a while back about the same idea. I would love to have a 10" Blackout bolt action. I think it would make a killer little deer rifle, and very handy suppressed.

Would this be legal in Indiana? I was under the impression that IN says rifles must have 16" barrel. If not then my SBR AR would be great to thump on Bambi with, but a short bolt gun would be awesome!

Top Bottom