• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Watching a video on the M1917/M36 heavy machine gun. It reminded me of a question I have had for years. I'm sure someone here can tell me. (a quick Google yeilded little)

So with only one tube from the water tank to the jacket, how does the water work? I dont see how it would circulate with only one path. Or does it just boil off and draw up more from the tank?

EDIT: The best possible video. Full auto, Hearing Gunny's voice again, and watching KJW. :naughty:

[video=youtube;DVEi11KgTCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVEi11KgTCQ[/video]

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My understanding is the can is a catch can for the steam. You fill the outer shell via the port on the top. As the water heats up and converts to steam it goes into the can where it returns to water and can be put back into the cooling tank once everything cools down.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yes, the can is called a condensing can. The water in the jacket boils after about 5-600 rounds of rapid fire, the steam enters the steam tube at the top of the jacket and flows out of the fitting in the jacket, into the hose and into the can. The steam cools down and turns back into water, which is eventually poured back into the jacket. I’ve read several times that the can keeps your position concealed as it catches the steam, but in if the opinion if you fire two Plus belts, the enemy is going to know where you are!

below is a vintage picture of the water jacket of a Vickers gun

9F994D38-D723-43A5-A8EF-E4B7CC6BBC78.jpg

Top Bottom