• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been considering getting a thread adapter for my Sig P320 with 13.5x1LH threaded barrel, to use a 1/2"x28RH piston. This is for an Silencerco Osprey 9. I have the 1/2"x28RH threads on my other 9mm barrels for other guns and thought this would make things simpler. The price for an adapter is very reasonable. Are there any drawbacks to consider? Anyone have any experience to share?

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Me, personally, I just pick up the additional pistons. I've got barrels with both thread pitches and it's nice having the proper pistons for each barrel. It definitely doesn't make it more streamline when I'm at the range and want to shoot my HKs/Sigs, then switch to something else, however.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Me, personally, I just pick up the additional pistons. I've got barrels with both thread pitches and it's nice having the proper pistons for each barrel. It definitely doesn't make it more streamline when I'm at the range and want to shoot my HKs/Sigs, then switch to something else, however.
    I have the pistons, but changing them at the range is inconvenient and a little time consuming. That's why I'm considering the thread adapter.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The few dollars more it would cost to get the correct piston would be worth it. I’m not one who likes stacking tolerances so I try to avoid it when possible. Having as few parts in the mix is key, in my opinion, to preventing baffle strikes

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The few dollars more it would cost to get the correct piston would be worth it. I’m not one who likes stacking tolerances so I try to avoid it when possible. Having as few parts in the mix is key, in my opinion, to preventing baffle strikes
    Having the parts get misaligned is a definite concern, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem. As I said, I do have the proper piston, I just thought that the adapter would be convenient at the range for swapping the suppressor between differently threaded barrels.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I just dealt with this same dilemma when I got my Kriss Vector 45 and wanted to put my GM-45 suppressor on it. New end caps for the GM-45 are like $85 and a thread adapter was $20. I went with the thread adapter and have had no issues. I got it from Hughes Precision as they have a pretty good reputation for quality products.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for the comments and the advice. I just ordered the thread adapter and thread protector from Hughes Precision. It wasn't expensive, so if it doesn't float my boat, I'm not out a bundle.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Just be sure to regularly check that the suppressor and thread adapter are tightened down. This is especially difficult when dealing with a LH - RH thread set-up. I ended up using a bit of red locktite on the thread adapter to keep it tight so I could hand tighhten the suppressor after every mag.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just be sure to regularly check that the suppressor and thread adapter are tightened down. This is especially difficult when dealing with a LH - RH thread set-up. I ended up using a bit of red locktite on the thread adapter to keep it tight so I could hand tighhten the suppressor after every mag.
    Thanks for the tip. One advantage of the Silencerco Osprey is that since it is off-set it is pretty apparent that something needs tightening. BTW, I placed my order with Hughes Precision this morning and it has already shipped!

Solscud007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Be careful using the thread adapter. Since it is on a LH thread pitch. It is difficult to tighten the suppressor onto the adapter. Because doing so causes the adapter to unthread from the barrel.

Top Bottom