• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm building a 300 blkout pistol, 10.5" barrel. Would using a magwell grip be considered a vertical grip, thus making it an NFA item? I am using a cheekrest for the stock end and understand this is ok so I am not concerned about that.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know what part you are taking about, have a link for the magwell grip?
    by the definitions, it's not a questions of whether it's a vertical grip, it's a question of whether it's designed to be fired with one hand or two. I would think that would be AOW. Just grab the magwell, no special grip needed, imo. then you can say it was designed for one handed firing, you just happen to be using two (like using two hands on an actual pistol)...

-rvb

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    MWG_04.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That is the idea Bigtanker. I thought I read that a forward vertical grip on a pistol is a no no.

as I said above, altering a pistol so that it is designed to be fired w/ two hands is the "no no." A forward vert grip like you'd add on a handguard is just one example.

Just looked in the NFA handbook and it says "certain alterations to a pistol or revolver, such as the addition of a second vertical handgrip, create a weapon that no longer meets the definition of pistol or revolver. A pistol or revolver modified as described is an “any other weapon” subject to the NFA because the weapon is not designed to be fired when held in one hand."

That looks like an AOW to me....

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    well, good then. I'd keep a copy of that letter on me. Kinda like how they said the angled grips are legal but vert grips are not. No rhyme or reason to the application of the law. The NFA is stupid and antiquated. Just another example of why it needs to disappear....

I don't see how adding finger groves to the magwell makes it an NFA item. You can get a lower with the mag well molded w/ groves. It's no different than holding on to the magwell. In my opinion, changing the texture of said magwell doesn't meet the requirements of "adding a second vertical grip".

the law doesn't say anything about "second vertical grips." It uses language like "stock extending at an angle to the bore" and "designed to be fired with one hand" for a handgun. Vert grips are just an example given in the NFA handbook. The Tech Branch gets to make determinations as to the nits, but they still aren't "law" just a form of CYA.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom