• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Since the ATF’s definition of a silencer or suppressor is a device designed to quiet the report of a gun, what If a gun is designed with a suppressor like attachment, permanently affixed and part of the gun, then technically it’s quiet from the get go and the suppressor was not added to quiet it down.

I’m sure this has been tried in the past, but there are some ‘non-nfa’ nfa-like things that are legal these days. I wonder if it were a necessary part of functioning the action, like a booster on many older belt feds. Just odd thoughts I have while at work...

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Since the ATF’s definition of a silencer or suppressor is a device designed to quiet the report of a gun, what If a gun is designed with a suppressor like attachment, permanently affixed and part of the gun, then technically it’s quiet from the get go and the suppressor was not added to quiet it down.

I’m sure this has been tried in the past, but there are some ‘non-nfa’ nfa-like things that are legal these days. I wonder if it were a necessary part of functioning the action, like a booster on many older belt feds. Just odd thoughts I have while at work...

Go ask Sig about their MPX-C and how that line of thinking worked out for them.

They definitely consider integrally suppressed barrels and other such devices as still being silencers. The only thing that you can really get out of having it permanently attached is if you are dealing with a carbine, you can have one stamp (for the suppressor portion) instead of 2, for the SBR and the suppressor. That's about it.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    some of the things that you say are "legal" havent been submitted to the ATF for approval and are a ticking time bomb for the manufacturer when the ATF catches up. 66c544f6809732d3d0e3a93b6867923a.jpeg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As Beowulf stated, it didn't work out too well for Sig. However, SilencerCo did something with their Maxim50 muzzle loader (which may have been part of how they got around it). It's an odd thing though, they can ship that sucker to your front door, I looked into the legalities of it and I know they had to have the whole thing approved to the ATF first but a similar things has been done. What they need to do is just get the stupid things deregulated all together!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    As Beowulf stated, it didn't work out too well for Sig. However, SilencerCo did something with their Maxim50 muzzle loader (which may have been part of how they got around it). It's an odd thing though, they can ship that sucker to your front door, I looked into the legalities of it and I know they had to have the whole thing approved to the ATF first but a similar things has been done. What they need to do is just get the stupid things deregulated all together!

As you surmised, the Maxim50 skirts the whole thing by not being a firearm as defined by the ATF (similar to how airguns can have sound suppressors built into them). Since the suppressor is attached to the Maxim50, it can't be used on an actual firearm, so no issue there (I mean, you could cut it off I guess, but then you can just make a suppressor out of a flashlight and some freeze plugs too, so once you actually make it then you've committed a crime... unless you filed the form 1).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As you surmised, the Maxim50 skirts the whole thing by not being a firearm as defined by the ATF (similar to how airguns can have sound suppressors built into them). Since the suppressor is attached to the Maxim50, it can't be used on an actual firearm, so no issue there (I mean, you could cut it off I guess, but then you can just make a suppressor out of a flashlight and some freeze plugs too, so once you actually make it then you've committed a crime... unless you filed the form 1).

:whistle:

Top Bottom