• ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Hey guys,
    I have finally decided my next firearms related purchase will be a .22LR suppressor.

I thought I had almost decided on a SilencerCo Spectre II, but toward the end of my research, I started to see a lot of people saying they thought the Dead Air Mask and Occulus were better choices with some people referring to Ruggeds products as well.

I guess I am just asking for some guidance so here is a little background:

Quiet (including FRP) is probably near the top of the list of important aspects.
    Not terribly worried about price. I would rather pay for something quality that I will be super happy with.
    Will be used on multiple Ruger Mk series pistols, multiple 10/22s, AR-style .22, and a bolt gun.
    I do not think I am particularly concerned with size or weight, but I will be using it a lot on pistols.
    I would definitely like to have it for a long time, and as I understand, cleaning (or ease of) may be fairly important.

Let me know now if you guys need any other details to help me out.

I understand one can is not not going to be perfect for everyone’s needs, but I thought you guys could help guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Well I can't speak for the silencerCo or occulus, but I have a mask 22 that I love. Easy to take down and clean and quiet.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I own all 3, you can't go wrong with any of the 3, and all 3 sound very similar.

If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Mask, because the Spectre is a little longer, and I don't care about the Oculus' modularity.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I'm in the same boat and after reading boards and watching countless videos ended up going with the Dead Air. Just waiting on it to arrive at Allen's shop so I can get the paperwork rolling

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I went through this back in March and ended up in a totally different direction. I ended up ordering a KGMade Swarm. It’s an all titanium, modular suppressor.

I was considering the Mask, but the weight was just enough to change the balance of the rifle and my wife wasn’t as happy with it. It’s not that it was particularly heavy in itself, but the balance shifted enough forward that it wasn’t ideal. The aluminum cans had the right balance, but I wasn’t thrilled about the aluminum part. The Swarm split the difference between them.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Go to gunprodeals.com, AAC Element 2 for $211. Best deal on the market period. You won't find a better 22lr can for that kind of money. I'm probably gonna pick up another as I need at least a 2nd 22lr can

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have an Oculus and love the thing. The modularity is nice cause in the short configuration isn't down right cute and their claim on the full configuration of no discernible FRP is absolutely correct, first shot sounds the same as the last

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I just went back over and bought another $211 element 2 from gunprodeals. Noteworthy: dead air mask is $298 when you add it to your cart and the spectre II is $221 when in your cart. 3 very good deals on 3 very good 22lr cans

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Wait, is that legit? Seems like everywhere else I’ve seen them for considerably more. Why is it so cheap from that site? Do you have it shipped to a local NFA dealer, I presume?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yes it's legit. Many folks have bought from them. Once you put in your zip code during checkout it'll give a list of FFLs within 50 miles of you. Just look for your SOT and then let your SOT know to email them. Once the F3 clears it'll be shipped. Make sure you have it shipped to an FFL that has an 07. Just because you have an FFL doesn't mean you can transfer suppressors. Just sayin. (You may already know that) You will be charged sales tax from gunprodeals since their physical location is in Indiana but even so it's still excellent pricing

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Double check the transfer price for suppressors with the FFL you pick. Some FFLs charge noticeably higher for the suppressor transfer than they do for a firearm transfer.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Go with the Mask.

It is phenomenal with FRP and it's always a top performer in every 22 db test. And regardless of the db meter it sounds fantastic. Several companies/owners have called it the "benchmark can" who also make very good 22 cans. I've heard Kevin Brittingham say this I know, and I'm pretty sure the owner to TBAC when talking about their can (which is also a great performer) as well. There may be a few others but I don't want to "quote" anyone per say. I have shot all 3 of the cans you mentioned and the Dead Air is my favorite followed by the rugged with the Sparrow bringing up the rear, but that's my opinion. However, I've used the Rugged and Dead Air on all of the hosts you mentioned and unless you want to run it short from time to time I'd go with the Mask every time. The only downside to the can (all three though) in my eyes is the weight, however it's a whole lot better when it comes time to clean than the aluminum stuff out there!

I can't get a hold of a sparrow for you but if you want to try a mask or oculus I can maybe help you out.

Edit* Also, Aeroflyer got it knocked out pretty well down thread on transfer fees and the benefits of titanium.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions too. I think I’m going to end up going with the Deadair Mask.

Top Bottom