• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I am brand new to suppressors but I recently purchased 2 Hybrids to use on various centerfire rifles and am still awaiting the stamps to come back. I didn’t intend to use these on any rimfire rifles at the time I bought them, but have since been considering it. In doing a bit of research I have seen several people say that you aren’t “supposed” to use these cans on a rimfire but no one really says why not.

Is there some reason that its a bad idea? I’m aware that rimfire ammo is typically very dirty but if I keep it under a few hundred rounds per session and then clean it afterwards, is there any damage it will do?

Side question, since a Hybrid is a big fat can, will it take 20+ rounds of rimfire ammo to charge the can with gas and thus giving me an ever shifting point of impact?

Thanks for any insight you guys may have.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Don’t use them on rimfire because those hybrids are not user serviceable, meaning you can not take apart the suppressor and clean it. .22lr is very dirty and lead buildup on baffles occurs. I would recommend a dedicated rimfire suppressor that can be taken apart to clean.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I would agree with boog.
    I have a hyrbrid also, but wouldn't ever use it on rimfire.
    Don't waste the $800 bucks with 22lr. You can buy a decent dedicated 22lr for like $200. I have a gemtech 22 that I picked up for around $250; it is easily serviceable.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Yea I will likely end up buying a dedicated 22 can also. Im just a bit confused, since i know nothing about suppressors, but a centerfire can has to be cleaned also, how is it that I can't just shoot 22 through a Hybrid and be sure to clean it more often. I got a response from Silencerco and they said it would void the warranty, so I definitely won't be doing it, just don't understand the theory. What procedures do people use to clean sealed suppressors?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Honestly it doesn't make total sense to me, other than to say that 22lr is just that much dirtier that everything else. I think (maybe) the higher pressure of centerfire rifle and pistol rounds just blast out the gunk?
    On a few podcasts put on by silencerco, I've heard that you don't really need to clean the hybrid.
    The Gemtech I have recommends cleaning every now and then with a solvent, but not like you would clean the rifle/pistol itself in terms of frequency.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    FYI, silencerco is giving away a free suppressor with the purchase of any suppressor over 700, or 800 bucks....depending on how much you spend you have different cans to choose from.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Basically the Hybrid cannot be taken apart and cleaned. The baffles that do the suppressing are actually welded in. On a dedicated rimfire can you can actually remove the baffles from inside the can to clean the lead and carbon buildup off of them. I have pulled apart my rimfire can and have found it to be almost completely impacted with the lead and carbon. If you shot through the Hybrid much with rimfire it would eventually completely close up the baffles and lose all of its supressing abilities. Center fire ammo leaves almost no residue other than some powder that can easily be sonic cleaned away so it really does not have to be pulled apart and cleaned.

When did you buy the Hybrid? if is has been between June 15 and July 15 of this year Silencerco has a promotion going where you can get a free rimfire can. You would just have to pay transfer fees and the stamp.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    As is typically my luck, I missed the deal and bought several months ago. I did get a pretty fair deal from a buddy’s buddy who is a dealer, but I’ve seen several very attractive deals since then that made me wished I had waited another month. Ohh well, such is life.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Also Mike, you don't need to clean a center fire can, just don't shoot lead projectiles (or rimfire) through it and you will be fine!

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    Dedicated rimfire suppressors tend to have a larger bore than needed due to the pressures change as soon as the 22 round (due to it's slow velocity) leaves the muzzle and enters the suppressor part. This can cause the little 22 round to shift its flight pattern temporarily (hence the larger than needed hole on rimfire suppressors). You CAN run hybrids on a rimfire weapon but you're risking a baffle strike as well which is why I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Buy a rimfire dedicated suppressor for that.
    Dedicated .30cal, 9mm, 5.56, etc have holes that just fit that round through it. This is because the high velocity of the round and it doesn't shift in flight with the pressure change.

Top Bottom