• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rmodglin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Having a hard time deciding which suppressor to go with for my first NFA item. I only have 3 different calibers atm, 9mm, 556 and 22. Have been shopping around some 30 cal rifles and plan to add one in the future. Would I be better off getting a hybrid can for my first one? Is the suppression that much better going with a can designed for each caliber? Still trying to get my feet wet the only can I've ever shot is a 9mm can on a couple MPX's and a few handguns. Just looking for some wisdom and direction so I can pull the trigger and stop shopping them! Lol

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Having a hard time deciding which suppressor to go with for my first NFA item. I only have 3 different calibers atm, 9mm, 556 and 22. Have been shopping around some 30 cal rifles and plan to add one in the future. Would I be better off getting a hybrid can for my first one? Is the suppression that much better going with a can designed for each caliber? Still trying to get my feet wet the only can I've ever shot is a 9mm can on a couple MPX's and a few handguns. Just looking for some wisdom and direction so I can pull the trigger and stop shopping them! Lol

Sounds like you really need 3 different cans. Everything I've ever read and been told points to it being unwise to run 22lr through your centerfire cans. Rimfire cans are mostly user serviceable and have anywhere from 3 to 5 hundred round recommended cleaning intervals. Lead build up is an issue. Centerfire cans generally recommend not running lead to prevent build up and many are not serviceable as they are welded together to improve strength to handle the higher pressures associated with centerfire. 223 can be hearing safe through a good 30cal can. Pistols (assuming your 9mm is not a rifle) generally get lighter construction in the can so as to not upset the balance of the pistol. These cans generally cannot handle the pressures associated with centerfire rifles.

I went through all this over the last year myself. I decided to go with 3 cans initially over 4 or 5 months.
    First can I bought - 22takedown by thunderbeast. Expensive, but I shoot a lot of rimfire and the can is rated for my FNFiveseveN pistol. It will probably be the single most used suppressor in my lineup, because it is just so easy to shoot 22lr all day.

Second can - AmerMFG 30cal GhostWind - Exceptionally quiet and built like a freaking tank. Warrantied to handle everything that will fit through the hole. It is heavy, but priced fair and supports a small shop. The owner takes time to personally talk with you and answer questions. I did make sure to buy extra mounts to have a stockpile for future use.

Most recent can - YHM 45acp pistol can - On sale for 200ish off it was too good to pass up. It is rated for 300blk subsonics down to 22lr (I cant imagine 22 suppressing well in a 45 hole tho). It is proving to be the most impractical of them all tho. It is crazy expensive gathering the appropriate pistons in my calibers/threads. Threaded barrels add up quickly as well.

My next can will be a dedicated ar15 223 can, but I see no reason to hurry down that path. Ordering the cans a month or two apart also make it feel like Christmas all summer long.

In summary - Order whichever can fits your direct needs first. Rimfire, rifle, or pistol. Decide which you'll use the most and go from there. There is no 1 size fits all when it comes to different suppressors.

Last edited:

Rmodglin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like you really need 3 different cans. Everything I've ever read and been told points to it being unwise to run 22lr through your centerfire cans. Rimfire cans are mostly user serviceable and have anywhere from 3 to 5 hundred round recommended cleaning intervals. Lead build up is an issue. Centerfire cans generally recommend not running lead to prevent build up and many are not serviceable as they are welded together to improve strength to handle the higher pressures associated with centerfire. 223 can be hearing safe through a good 30cal can. Pistols (assuming your 9mm is not a rifle) generally get lighter construction in the can so as to not upset the balance of the pistol. These cans generally cannot handle the pressures associated with centerfire rifles.

I went through all this over the last year myself. I decided to go with 3 cans initially over 4 or 5 months.
    First can I bought - 22takedown by thunderbeast. Expensive, but I shoot a lot of rimfire and the can is rated for my FNFiveseveN pistol. It will probably be the single most used suppressor in my lineup, because it is just so easy to shoot 22lr all day.

Second can - AmerMFG 30cal GhostWind - Exceptionally quiet and built like a freaking tank. Warrantied to handle everything that will fit through the hole. It is heavy, but priced fair and supports a small shop. The owner takes time to personally talk with you and answer questions. I did make sure to buy extra mounts to have a stockpile for future use.

Most recent can - YHM 45acp pistol can - On sale for 200ish off it was too good to pass up. It is rated for 300blk subsonics down to 22lr (I cant imagine 22 suppressing well in a 45 hole tho). It is proving to be the most impractical of them all tho. It is crazy expensive gathering the appropriate pistons in my calibers/threads. Threaded barrels add up quickly as well.

My next can will be a dedicated ar15 223 can, but I see no reason to hurry down that path. Ordering the cans a month or two apart also make it feel like Christmas all summer long.

In summary - Order whichever can fits your direct needs first. Rimfire, rifle, or pistol. Decide which you'll use the most and go from there. There is no 1 size fits all when it comes to different suppressors.

Thanks Ggreen! Good point on not shooting rimfire through the centerfire cans. I know for sure I will be getting a 308 or 300blk in the near future so if i can find the right 30 cal can that should work for my centerfire rifles. Main reason for the 9mm can is my CZ scorpion. I dont currently have any threaded barrels on my cz handguns. So that will be salty. You think 22 would suppress decently in a 9mm can? At least until I could get a dedicated 22. The advice is much appreciated! Thanks

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Don't forget about the SilencerCo rebate going on right now! If you spend $800 on a 30cal can you get a free Octane (pistol can) and you just pay the stamp. I'd go that route and then if you want to add a rimfire can those are the cheapest to buy. The Hybrid is a fine silencer but it's more at home on a long gun than a pistol in my opinion. For the price of the 30cal can right now you are checking 2 boxes.

I'd say buy an Omega and then get an Octane 9 or 45 as your free one. While it would be more ideal to have a 22 can you can always use your Octane on a 22 rifle or something until you can afford a 22 can which you can get into for between like upper $200-400ish range for a good one.

If that's not the way you want to go, you get a free 22 can if you purchase a Hybrid right now. So basically for one purchase you get everything suppressed.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks Ggreen! Good point on not shooting rimfire through the centerfire cans. I know for sure I will be getting a 308 or 300blk in the near future so if i can find the right 30 cal can that should work for my centerfire rifles. Main reason for the 9mm can is my CZ scorpion. I dont currently have any threaded barrels on my cz handguns. So that will be salty. You think 22 would suppress decently in a 9mm can? At least until I could get a dedicated 22. The advice is much appreciated! Thanks

I've read and been told to not use a rimfire in any centerfire can, including pistol cans. Most of this advice came from the shops I have transferring my cans so it may be a sales pitch, idk but I won't shoot anything through one that would void manufacturer warranties. Apparently the problem with 22lr is that there is a baffle strike hazard as well as a lead fouling issue. most of the pistol cans I've looked at were user serviceable so the lead shouldn't be an issue in them. YMMV, I would seek that info directly from the manufacturer of the can you are looking at. With all the bogo's out right now it is a good time to be buying if you can stomach the tax stamps all at once.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have two, a 30 cal can and a 22lr can. Plan to add another 30 cal and a pistol can sometime in the future.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    There are a couple of different do all type cans out there now that will cover the 9, .223 and 30cal. The silencerco Hybrid46, griffin armament optimus, and gemtech one are just a few. just change the mount and end cap and away you go. The 22 you will need a dedicated. Every manufacturer that I know of will tell you the warranty will be void if you use a centerfire suppressor with rimfire rounds.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You're almost better off buying 2 separate cans from the get go. With the jack of all trade master of none suppressors you'll have the added cost of accessories to run it with different calibers. And they add up in cost quickly plus having to keep track of all those extra do dads laying around. As stated above, buy into the SiCo deal. Even though the octane series pistol cans aren't groundbreaking or revolutionary, they'll do ya fine for your centerfire pistol calibers. If ya got $1500 to spend you can get 4 suppressors. Buy an Omega or Chimera for $900 and a Saker ASR 556 for $600 then get ya a free spectre 2 and a free octane. You'll have 556, 30 cal, 22lr, and 9/45 covered

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    You're almost better off buying 2 separate cans from the get go. With the jack of all trade master of none suppressors you'll have the added cost of accessories to run it with different calibers. And they add up in cost quickly plus having to keep track of all those extra do dads laying around. As stated above, buy into the SiCo deal. Even though the octane series pistol cans aren't groundbreaking or revolutionary, they'll do ya fine for your centerfire pistol calibers. If ya got $1500 to spend you can get 4 suppressors. Buy an Omega or Chimera for $900 and a Saker ASR 556 for $600 then get ya a free spectre 2 and a free octane. You'll have 556, 30 cal, 22lr, and 9/45 covered

THIS ^^^^^

Rmodglin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Yes the SilencerCo email I got last week is what struck up my urge to pull the trigger and finally purchase a suppressor. I'm rather new to INGO and chatting on forums also. Just used to shooting the **** with my buddies at work about firearms. Trying to engage more on here and learn a few things. Appreciate all your feedback everyone! I've decided to go with the 30 cal Omega and the Octane 9. Down the road I'll look into snagging a 22 can. Much appreciated everyone!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The optimus can be used for rimfire since it's user serviceable, but it would be heavy on a pistol.

I'll partially agree with this. In the pistol configuration it's not terribly heavy. I use mine on a Glock 19 and it's heavy enough to notice, but not too heavy to enjoy. I don't know about a .22lr pistol though.....

I've put my Optimus on a .300BLK, .556 AR (must use .30 cal end cap), 9mm pistol, and 10/22 rifle. Works great on all. And after having it on the .22 rifle, swap the end cap and dump about 10rd of .556 through it. That blast does a pretty good "precleaning".

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll partially agree with this. In the pistol configuration it's not terribly heavy. I use mine on a Glock 19 and it's heavy enough to notice, but not too heavy to enjoy. I don't know about a .22lr pistol though.....

I've put my Optimus on a .300BLK, .556 AR (must use .30 cal end cap), 9mm pistol, and 10/22 rifle. Works great on all. And after having it on the .22 rifle, swap the end cap and dump about 10rd of .556 through it. That blast does a pretty good "precleaning".

I'll partially agree with this... :D

You can use the 22 end cap for 223.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes the SilencerCo email I got last week is what struck up my urge to pull the trigger and finally purchase a suppressor. I'm rather new to INGO and chatting on forums also. Just used to shooting the **** with my buddies at work about firearms. Trying to engage more on here and learn a few things. Appreciate all your feedback everyone! I've decided to go with the 30 cal Omega and the Octane 9. Down the road I'll look into snagging a 22 can. Much appreciated everyone!

Get the octane 45. You can shoot 9 and 45 through it.

Top Bottom